1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by oscarsdriver, Jul 25, 2011.

1. oscarsdriver

oscarsdriver Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Okay guys I know that I've come to the right place with this question. I've been racking my brain about how to put proper wheels on my coop. I had some old mower wheels that I tried to use but they bent and then broke in a matter of a week. I want to put the wheels on the heavy side of the coop and lift the light side so I can move it around the yard (so my girls can have fresh grass to graze and they don't destroy my yard. Here are some pics. By the way this is my first coop so if anyone has any suggestions... fire away. I live in southern Alabama near the Gulf so it's pretty hot. That and our propensity for regular afternoon thunderstorms rolling off the gulf has made me modify my plans (today). I enclosed under the roost with some framed tin that hinge up (I'll take pics tomorrow), but I'm sure you guys will get the idea of what I'm trying to achieve.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okay, I had to throw some pics of the kids in as well;)

2. oscarsdriver

Jul 23, 2011
    oh yeah... almost forgot that the wheels have to be flush with the ground I can't have them raising one end higher than the other. I spotted two gray foxes on the edge of the woods last night and since we live in a rural area we also have bobcats, raccoons, snakes, etc. So the girls have to be safe. Thanks guys and gals!

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Find some larger, pneumatic tires. Our Tractor Supply and Menard's building center has a wide selection similar to this example that found online for $10. Buy a steel axle long enough to run through the sides or across the back and stick out each side. The long axle braces itself vs trying to brace short axle stubs.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011
  4. SirFarmAlot

SirFarmAlot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
  5. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    I'm with Mac. An axel all the way through the end and wheels w/ bearings & tires. Drill a hole through the outside end of the axel and put a washer & cotter pin through to keep the wheel on. A washer on the inside between the coop & wheel to keep it from rubbing.

I would look hard at foam filled wheelbarrow wheels. They are quite spendy but you'll never have to inflate them.

You could also install a floor of welded wire to keep diggers out and set the tires a tad lower than the edge of the coop to make moving it easier. From what I understand digging predators will go under the 2 x 4 edge in a flash.

All that being said your coop looks great & very professional! [​IMG]

6. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    What about wheels from a wheel barrel? Lowes sells just the wheel with the axel.

7. LincTex

LincTex Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Quote:Roller-bearing trailer axles like that 2000lb capacity stub are way over kill.

You can buy lawnmower wheels (or at least non-pnematic ones, hard rubber) with steels centers. They are not much money. I would not go with something that needs to be aired up occasionally.

WHY did you use flat metal straps to mount your wheels? Just getting rid of the cheesy flat straps and adding REAL "angle iron" would do well. Do not buy the cheesy angle iron at home depot or lowes - - last I looked it wasn't very thick - - - which means not very strong. You need 3/16" thick (Ideally) 2x2 angle, or at least 14 gauge (about 1/8") angle. Call around you local metals supply houses ... or, I think Tractor Supply (TSC) might maybe have some, but I never buy metals from them.

[​IMG]

8. oscarsdriver

Jul 23, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.... I've been looking at some fixed 10in wheels that someone in one of the other forums commented on but now I can't find the link. Should have saved it when I had the chance. I had not thought of running a axil all the way through the coop. And I used the metal straps....well.... because it's my first coop and I found some laying around my workshop. I do have wire on the bottom of the coop although it's large. Thanks again and keep the suggestions coming, the more the better.

9. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Here is a link to a refined wheel search at the cheapest place around:

Harbor Freight

Here is a wheel I'd consider - foam filled so no airing it up:

foam filled

There are several choices on this site, and I'm sure other options as well. Good luck!

10. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I have those 10" pnuematic wheels from harbor frieght that I use to wheel my boat around. They can hold a lot of weight and should do the job for you. Like already stated, use a solid axle, washer and cotter key at the end of the axle to hold the wheels on. I have had my "boat dolly" for a while now and would guess it holds 250-300 pounds with all my gear in the boat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by