Tired of fighting.

Pics
Roosters of any breed can be either great or horrible. It's genetics mostly, so hatchery birds are a toss up

I’ve tried raising them as pets (disaster) and keeping my distance (better results) and now am looking for a brown egg layer with an easy demeanor (I understand birds are individuals). I don’t completely hate my roo, just want to know if there’s a better one to be had.
Theres no reason to add a rooster to a flock unless you need to breed him to fertilize the eggs and raise chicks. This only applies to people who keep their flocks up.People who free range use roosters to protect their flocks.I don't have a rooster.

I wouldn’t say no. But unless you live somewhere near Gainesville Florida, I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Can you mail a rooster???
i live near Gainesville and have a very shy Silverudd’s Blue rooster that I’d give you. Otherwise he will remain here to live.

As far as roosters go, there isn’t a generalization for them in terms of temperament. I have tried many methods at either end of the spectrum. If it is in their genes, it doesn’t matter if you carry them from sea to shining sea, they are hard-wired to protect. The issue is how they see their keeper- as threat to their flock or as the bringer of sustenance? I wish I could say I have found the way to make them all view me as the bringer of food. I can’t.

Some of the more rare breeds and landraces, could be mixed with game cocks for hardiness and genetic influence. I’m pretty sure I have some game cocks in my Araucana line. They are unpredictable and fiercely protective of their flock. They will fight to kill other roosters. Maybe when they are mixed with other breeds, the respect toward humans they are supposed to have goes out the window? Don’t know. I’ve tried several time out and rehab methods. Short answer is nothing has worked with all of them. One they get their flock, they change. That said, I have some puppy dog tame adult roosters (with me and with their hens, not with other roos) of every breed I keep. And it is worth noting that all of my Cream Legbar roosters have become aggressive with me after maturity. Every single one. My last one is about to become a bachelor for the rest of his natural life.

i live near Gainesville and have a very shy Silverudd’s Blue rooster that I’d give you. Otherwise he will remain here to live.

As far as roosters go, there isn’t a generalization for them in terms of temperament. I have tried many methods at either end of the spectrum. If it is in their genes, it doesn’t matter if you carry them from sea to shining sea, they are hard-wired to protect. The issue is how they see their keeper- as threat to their flock or as the bringer of sustenance? I wish I could say I have found the way to make them all view me as the bringer of food. I can’t.

Some of the more rare breeds and landraces, could be mixed with game cocks for hardiness and genetic influence. I’m pretty sure I have some game cocks in my Araucana line. They are unpredictable and fiercely protective of their flock. They will fight to kill other roosters. Maybe when they are mixed with other breeds, the respect toward humans they are supposed to have goes out the window? Don’t know. I’ve tried several time out and rehab methods. Short answer is nothing has worked with all of them. One they get their flock, they change. That said, I have some puppy dog tame adult roosters (with me and with their hens, not with other roos) of every breed I keep. And it is worth noting that all of my Cream Legbar roosters have become aggressive with me after maturity. Every single one. My last one is about to become a bachelor for the rest of his natural life.
I have had almost the same experience so far, even having an amazing Silverudd's Blue and my CCL mixes have turned into jerks, one is extremely nasty. That's crazy how similar. I love my Svart Hona guy but he's just causing some concern as he approaches that 1 year mark (1 month away). He's started beating up on my Silverudd's Blue and any other of my boys that won't back down from him, immediately. He also treats me like a flock member, but that's my fault and completely on me. I don't have my boys and girls together because I haven't found one that's perfect. My Silverudd's Blue is way too big for my little bantam girls and he has some immature ways about him. My favorite little OEGB rooster that has been perfect in every way, is so tiny and will try to win over the big girls but I don't want him hurt. I don't need chicks, so I'll continue what's working so far.

Back
Top Bottom