Tired of fighting.

Many people have reported Barred Rock roosters being aggressive. I myself had an aggressive Barred Rock rooster.
I agree that BRs tend to be aggressive. I’ve never had a BR roo, but my BR hens are the most aggressive birds in my flock, so I could easily see a roo finding himself in trouble. So far my sweetest rooster has been a light Brahma.

I agree that BRs tend to be aggressive. I’ve never had a BR roo, but my BR hens are the most aggressive birds in my flock, so I could easily see a roo finding himself in trouble. So far my sweetest rooster has been a light Brahma.
My ladies are friendly.

My ladies are friendly.
Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that they were mean. All my BR hens have never been mean, they have just been the boss birds and very... sassy. We call ours the gangster girls. I could see how a BR roo could easily be quite the handful. Of course, there are always exceptions, and it depends on the personality of the individual bird. But I have noticed certain personality trends among breeds. 🙂

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that they were mean. All my BR hens have never been mean, they have just been the boss birds and very... sassy. We call ours the gangster girls. I could see how a BR roo could easily be quite the handful. Of course, there are always exceptions, and it depends on the personality of the individual bird. But I have noticed certain personality trends among breeds. 🙂
Yes, Barred Rock ladies are bossy towards other birds, I see that alot.

Yes, Barred Rock ladies are bossy towards other birds, I see that alot.
Yep! And in the past I’ve had a pair of my BRs continuously find ways out of the coop, then teach all the other girls how to get out. I currently have one free-range bird. Not by choice, but because everyday after eating her food, this particular BR hen flies the coop, free-ranges around, then flies back in for the night. 😂

Yep! And in the past I’ve had a pair of my BRs continuously find ways out of the coop, then teach all the other girls how to get out. I currently have one free-range bird. Not by choice, but because everyday after eating her food, this particular BR hen flies the coop, free-ranges around, then flies back in for the night. 😂
My run is covered on the coop with my Barred Rocks, so I don't have that problem.

At least she makes it back without a problem.

My run is covered on the coop with my Barred Rocks, so I don't have that problem.

At least she makes it back without a problem.
Yep! When she first started doing it I tried clipping her wings and she managed to get out even with that. I kind of gave up and told her to do whatever she wants. I really like free-range birds so long as I don’t find them dead, and she’s been smart enough to get away with it for a couple years.

My BR hens are absolutely precious! They hold the bottom two positions on the pecking order. One of them still tries to fly up and spend on my shoulder. They're just so sweet and the complete opposite from my BR rooster

Back
Top Bottom