Tired of hearing I should put chickens in a coop instead of free-range

Do what works for you!!

If I had my way my birds would be 100% free range. Unfortunately my property is over run with predators. If I let my birds roam all the time I'd loose a bird or two a day, no doubt. Name a predator... I probably have two. It's ridiculous how bad it is.

Last weekend we watched a Coopers hawk eat a bird (unknown species) in our drive way. It was very cool but I also realize a very serious problem for my flock if they are unsupervised.

Honestly, I get tired of hearing people complain that their birds are being picked off by predators, but can't be bothered to protect them in the first place.

If you don't have predator problems then don't worry what other people say. I let my birds free range during the day and close them in the coop at night during good weather. If I ever had any birds picked off by something then it would be my own fault and I would have no one to blame but myself for not protecting my flock. The birds are much happier when they have outside time and I believe it makes them healthier in the long run.

One thing I would take into consideration is if you share your place with other people. Some people might not like stepping in chicken poop and getting it on their boots/shoes and then tracking it through their cars etc. Heck, I don't like stepping in chicken poop, but it's part of the package when you have animals. If other people are involved in your situation, and they help pay the bills, then it may be good to look at it from their perspective just a tiny little bit.

UC

I have to laugh somewhat......we get cars zooming by that honk about every week or so......wife and I just look at each other and say......Chickens must be near the road and freaking drivers out......We 100% free range our chickens and sometimes dont even shut them up at night....I just pay good attention to the seasons such as when wildife starts to disperse, hawks flying over, owls hooting nearby etc.....We do lose a few birds a year to predators, but the free range freedom my chickens have outweighs it....I also firmly believe the free-ranging chickens are attracting many of our egg buyers. Think about it.......who doesnt really want chickens and have some that they really dont have to do much to other then get the eggs in......

I have a flock that free ranges 24/7.
big_smile.png

I don't have chickens yet (and maybe I never will - only Meyers and USPS knows) but when I do have them I want them to be able to free range during the day.
We have very safe fencing all around and the only hawks we have are the little red shoulder kind (not the red tails).
I do think the benefits outweigh the risks in our case.
And as far as mess and damage goes I doubt they can compete to what goat hooves do to a car's paint job...

If it makes you feel any better, people with chickens confined to a run sometimes get tired of hearing they should let them run loose, too <g>.

The grass is always greener I guess
tongue.png

Pat

right! it goes both ways, i know if i let my birds out they have a high chance of getting eaten...BUT...i lost the most birds ever while they were in their secure run! 4 dead...and one wounded...stinkin weasel! now if they had been free that day...they would be alive now....they could have flown off and hid or something from the weasel...not just got picked off like sitting ducks...because they were trapped in their pen!...
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom