Tired of the ghetto, moving to Mena, AR

Congratulations on the financing approval and good luck with the move. By the way in my opinion spirituality may be enhanced/strengthened by having been exposed to the baser side of life. Most have those 'places' to which they never intend to return. Keep updating with your progress. Many here are excited for you and your family.

Thank you for the kind wishes and blessings! The wife has had a major stroke and has been asking about getting some parrots. "Wrong- I've got something else to keep your butt occupied rather than watching TV 18 hours a day". "What's that?"

"Chickens. Not sure if we're going to have 4 eggers and 4 meaties and a 'Roo, or just 4 eggers and 4 meaties- I'm still out to lunch on the Roo!"

"But their pets!"

"But they're going to have names like "Fryer", "Broiler", "Dumplings", "Fingers", and "Sandwich".

"THEN YOU BUTCHER THEM!"

"Fine- I'll just make a "Wizz-Bang chicken Plucker" and the hardest part of plucking them will be done."

(Pulling daggers from her eyes out of his chest) I'm thinking I'm going to get a bit of static on this topic in the future,,,,,

No parrots here - they would surely outlive the Princess and me.
lau.gif

Well, two years have passed- we made the move to Mena, Arkansas. Purchased 1.5 acres out near the airport. Bewildered by the 3 to 5 packs of Coyotes, and wondering what to do about heat in the henhouse in the summer (100+F). Fans? Vents?

The size of the flock. Wife wants 3 eggers. I said "No, you mean 30". She said "No, I mean 3 hens". Then obviously you've never heard of Chicken Math,,,,Anyhow, going to make the run roughly 40 feet long, and 40 feet wide. That's 1600 square feet- that SHOULD be enough to compensate for SOME Chicken Math.

Glad your chicken operation is off to a good start. Shade, breeze, and fresh water probably do more to keep your chickens okay in the heat than any other measures. I've also found damping down some shady spots in the run on super hot days helps. Some people give cold treats...cantaloupe, watermelon, even frozen peas or corn. Other folks use those misters that attach to your garden hose. Personally, I've not had success with those and my birds are terrified of them! On your run, yes, too big is better than too small when that chicken math grabs you! Best wishes!!

6 years have passed since I first posted. The Garden that can feed 12 people is almost completed- and drained my wallet. Now, to concentrate on the Coop is my next goal.

I had asked on the Facebook page how many chickens/situation would I need to feed 12 people. I came up with a flock of around 300 birds- I have the space, just not the money to build it- YET. So I'm leaning towards using PVC as my run as it seems to be the least expensive considering the size of run I wish to build (40 by 80 feet)

So the planning continues. With God Almighty's help I can do all things.

Attachments

• 4 Goat Panels for Garden.JPG
    4 Goat Panels for Garden.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Close up of planter box.JPG
    Close up of planter box.JPG
    636.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Closeup of Colleens Cube.JPG
    Closeup of Colleens Cube.JPG
    314.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Composter assembly.JPG
    Composter assembly.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 2
  • Cubes at the halfway point.JPG
    Cubes at the halfway point.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Cubes wood shavings black plastic.JPG
    Cubes wood shavings black plastic.JPG
    316.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Debbie and Colleen hamming it up.JPG
    Debbie and Colleen hamming it up.JPG
    645.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Debbie Cook and Colleen working on Colleens cube.JPG
    Debbie Cook and Colleen working on Colleens cube.JPG
    578.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Drilled trash cans for garden.JPG
    Drilled trash cans for garden.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Electric extension cord.JPG
    Electric extension cord.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Electric post hole digger.JPG
    Electric post hole digger.JPG
    452.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IBC tote cages.JPG
    IBC tote cages.JPG
    879.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IBC tote new.JPG
    IBC tote new.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IBC tote tanks cut in half.JPG
    IBC tote tanks cut in half.JPG
    554.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Mop buckets with 90s.JPG
    Mop buckets with 90s.JPG
    249.2 KB · Views: 2
  • planter box with plastic liner and hugelkulture.JPG
    planter box with plastic liner and hugelkulture.JPG
    390.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Small planter boxes 2 by 2 by 6 feet.JPG
    Small planter boxes 2 by 2 by 6 feet.JPG
    687.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Chicken coop math.JPG
    Chicken coop math.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 1
6 years have passed since I first posted. The Garden that can feed 12 people is almost completed- and drained my wallet. Now, to concentrate on the Coop is my next goal.

I had asked on the Facebook page how many chickens/situation would I need to feed 12 people. I came up with a flock of around 300 birds- I have the space, just not the money to build it- YET. So I'm leaning towards using PVC as my run as it seems to be the least expensive considering the size of run I wish to build (40 by 80 feet)

So the planning continues. With God Almighty's help I can do all things.
300 birds! Eggs and meat?

Back
Top Bottom