Tired of throwing away dirty duck eggs. Help !

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KathyR, May 4, 2009.

1. KathyR

KathyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    Hi

I have had ducks for several years. I can't seem to get any clean ones, always poop on them or at least mud. We cleaned the barn out this past Saturday, put down clean wood shavings and piles of hay for nesting. This is only Monday and we have had to throw away the eggs yesterday and today. They usually lay on the hay. We like to eat the eggs. Is there any safe way to clean them? Any suggestions on how to keep them clean?

Kathy

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Uh, ducks always poop on thier eggs, I have never seen a clean duck egg. I use a green kitchen scrubbie (those Scotch Brite brillo pad things) and lukewarm water with antibacterial soap and just scrub away. We eat them...no one has died yet [​IMG]

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I just soak them for a few minutes to get the yucky stuff wet and then just wipe it off with a paper towel. We haven't died yet either. [​IMG]

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Quote:Ditto - We wash them off and eat them.

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Quote:We do the same thing minus the antibacterial soap and all has been well here. No need to throw away perfectly good eggs.

6. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG] I wash mine and eat them too [​IMG] I LOVE duck eggs.

7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I wash mine with just water and dry them.

8. KathyR

KathyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Tully, NY
    Thanks all. It is a shame to throw them away. They are so good. We used to wash and eat them but my husband got paranoid about it which made me start to wonder. Thanks.

Kathy

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 1 duck that lays nasty looking eggs and another duck that lays clean eggs. I just wash the nasty ones. No problem [​IMG]

10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Sorry, I just wash with soap and water with a scrubby. Nothing you can do about it, its just ducks?! [​IMG]

I would more pariniod of the condition of the 'clean' eggs in the grocery store more so them the eggs I get from my birds, no matter how bad they look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by