Tires for nest boxes?

Jay262

Songster
10 Years
Apr 21, 2009
Would old care tires be ok for nest boxes or would there be a toxicity level in them that would effect the chickens/eggs. Like some people say not to grow vegtables in tires. I just think it would be a great way to recycle them they could lay in a corner or you could put a small piece of plywood and make hanging/swinging nestbox or roost even.

I wouldn't do it. There are some truck tires still in the garage because the dump charges to drop them off. There has to be a reason for that.

There is too much bad stuff in tires. Like P-Funk said there is a reason you can't just throw them in the trash.

Its called recycling and reusing id like a little more educated answer then you should throw it in the trash cause you can. Obviously i know i can do that its not what i asked though.

Tires leak oils as they break down. They also emit fumes. the fumes could possibly be hazzardous to your chickens lungs.

The hazardous chemicals chemicals from old tyres are Dioxins, Furans, Nitrogen oxides, Sulfur oxides, Lead and Chromium compounds. These are potential hormone disruptors, and can cause fetal deformities...

I personally would not want these around my laying hens, especially if I planned on hatching eggs. I just would not want to risk it.

Instead, I'd clean the tires with soap and water and turn them into raise flower bed planters... wash them, lay them where you want, filll and cover with dirt/soil, and then fill with flowers... I have seen people use them for potatoes, but I wouldn't do that either... would be too afraid of contamination of my food.

Last edited:
they might be a little large but you could split one with another piece of wood. I've seen some used for water for live stock with no problem. and the reason they charge more at the dump is due to they don't decompose and they wont stay buried they work their way up to the top
good luck

might be my computer but all i get is the bing home page
hmm.png
sad.png

we have used tires for our garden for years(same tires) and with no ill effects

cept for this constanttt ttttttwwwitchin and my 4th eye isnt normal size and its awkward having another head.

Back
Top Bottom