Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Would you assist this chick? All its hatchmates are out and in the brooder already. Pipped early yesterday evening and has enlarged the hole but doesn't seem to be zipping.

IMG_20200322_112133.jpg

Would you assist this chick? All its hatchmates are out and in the brooder already. Pipped early yesterday evening and has enlarged the hole but doesn't seem to be zipping.

View attachment 2058893

id give it a full 24 hrs from pip to zip. It can breathe, and is safer in the egg at this point. It is resting up to hatch, and probably still has veins and yolk absorbing. Keep your humidity up, and don’t open the incubator, or you will end up with a mess to deal with. (Voice of experience here!)

NO! it is just resting and breathing air and absorbing. The hole is bigger than just a pip, give it more time.
id give it a full 24 hrs from pip to zip. It can breathe, and is safer in the egg at this point. It is resting up to hatch, and probably still has veins and yolk absorbing. Keep your humidity up, and don’t open the incubator, or you will end up with a mess to deal with. (Voice of experience here!)

Thanks for your input! I'm mainly concerned that the membrane appears to be turning tan which is a warning sign in the guide for assisted hatching. I may add a sponge with some warm water

Here is where I am at, 10 total with this batch, I have these 8 in one box, 2 older black chicks, 2 cream leg bars (boy and girl,) 2 LO, olive egger dark w/spot, BA
bufe.PNG

And 2 more in separate box, my tenders, Valerie, olive egger (she is the one with the goofy belly button, she also has one extra small wing, and Buffy the BO, she ends up on her back sometimes, and I think the older chicks would pick on her.
buff.PNG

These eggs the light colored ones are due Mon. Tue, and the darker ones next week
buf.PNG

Back
Top Bottom