Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
They look pretty spot on for day 11 to me.

I'm sure they're ok! There are some eggs that have taken some serious fumbles and they ended up fine!

Oh really? Phew. Thanks for that.
And I shall make a note of that for next time about the air cell. I need to document everything that way I don’t jump to conclusions on every little thing. Especially for future incubations.

Thank you. Yes, I removed most of the water. Not in a very smart way, will definitely find an easier way to do it next time, but it’s done. Yes, I kept reading about dry incubation and keeping it at 30% but I figured the water would have gone down, but it stayed pretty consistent.

That’s what I thought too. All the pics showed that Day 7 should be around that small. And I’m closer to day 14 than I am to 7.

I think they will be just fine by day 14 if you run a little lower humidity. Oh, and this thingy has been priceless. I can add water to my incubator through the vent hole without opening it and removing water is also much easier with it. I got it on amazon.
E8CE6FAF-79E3-43E4-B147-7DC9F1BDC86E.jpeg

I think they will be just fine by day 14 if you run a little lower humidity. Oh, and this thingy has been priceless. I can add water to my incubator through the vent hole without opening it and removing water is also much easier with it. I got it on amazon. View attachment 2033543

Thank you. What is it called? I’ll probably look into getting it before I decide to hatch a second batch.

I think they will be just fine by day 14 if you run a little lower humidity. Oh, and this thingy has been priceless. I can add water to my incubator through the vent hole without opening it and removing water is also much easier with it. I got it on amazon. View attachment 2033543

I use a condiment container to add water to the external ports on incubators and I just stick a straw on the tip for incubators like the IncuView and Hovabator where I use the vent hole to ad water, lol. It works well too!

Condiment Water Bottle for Incubator.JPG

Thank you. Yes, I removed most of the water. Not in a very smart way, will definitely find an easier way to do it next time, but it’s done. Yes, I kept reading about dry incubation and keeping it at 30% but I figured the water would have gone down, but it stayed pretty consistent.

I think I am going to experiment with some dry hatching techniques after these eggs are done. I have two incubators, so I can do a couple of different things simultaneously with small clutches of eggs from my flock. Maybe I should start a dry hatching thread for us newbies (and anyone else, really) when I do it 🤔.

This is a great hatch-a-long to be in! Lots of experienced people to help out. This is my first hatch ever...I picked up my eggs and drove them home, so they probably had a much gentler ride than a lot of shipped eggs but still! I'm trying to hatch BBS ameraucana, BBS and black copper marans, lavender orpington, and salmon faverolles...I really want these breeds so am hoping for a good hatch rate!

Fingers crossed for you!
Lav orpingtons are one breed I really want and my flock will be complete. Some day

I find if you just keep them all in the same brooder they never notice when new ones are added ;)
😂😂😂 This is what I've been doing for years! If the small white eggs I put in are polish, I'll be hatching more than 3. I'll do a whole incubator full of them because they'll sell fast. Plus someone said I might be sex linked, but they never got back to me about it. It's a golden lace polish hen with a silver sebright rooster...

I think I am going to experiment with some dry hatching techniques after these eggs are done. I have two incubators, so I can do a couple of different things simultaneously with small clutches of eggs from my flock. Maybe I should start a dry hatching thread for us newbies (and anyone else, really) when I do it 🤔.
Can you tag me when you do? I do dry hatch only so I have a lot of experience with it. First hatch I did, I used distilled water and it was a huge fail. Every hatch from that fail has been solely dry nothing else. I went from a 60% hatch rate to 90%. I'm doing duck eggs right now dry hatching, they're doing amazing.

That would be a neat idea. Especially since you would be using eggs from your flock which would mean no rough handling and using fresh eggs which would give us a better idea if it was the method and not the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom