Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Pics
The master plan...

Keep all of the hens for eggs and sell the roos that don’t quite fit my liking for the breed. Breed certain ones for their qualities later on by separating them. We have a lot of different breeds now.

We go through about a dozen eggs per day, between humans and dogs. Dogs are fed raw, so eggs are added to their food twice a day.

I couldnt bring my self to eat our first cockerels, so they’re listed for sale right now.

Oh wow 12 eggs per day?! My dog helps himself to his own eggs by stealing them from a makeshift coop that he can access. Thankfully only 1 or 2 hens lay there. We have 83 eggs in our counter right now. I may just have to cook some scrambled eggs for the laying hens tomorrow.

I’m surprised people buy all your roosters. I always figured people didn’t want roosters. I can’t bring myself to take their life, but once they’re lifeless I don’t mind de-feathering them and gutting them. Thankfully my husband has no problem with doing that even if he likes the roosters.

Oh wow 12 eggs per day?! My dog helps himself to his own eggs by stealing them from a makeshift coop that he can access. Thankfully only 1 or 2 hens lay there. We have 83 eggs in our counter right now. I may just have to cook some scrambled eggs for the laying hens tomorrow.

I’m surprised people buy all your roosters. I always figured people didn’t want roosters. I can’t bring myself to take their life, but once they’re lifeless I don’t mind de-feathering them and gutting them. Thankfully my husband has no problem with doing that even if he likes the roosters.

Yeah we love eggs lol. Currently purchasing 6 dozen plus from the store every two weeks.

The problem with us crazy chicken people, we have a plan! Just takes time to get there. My other half thinks I just like making babies and watching them grow, but ultimately I am working towards never having to buy eggs from a store ever again.

I’m so glad I know what Floyd the rooster is now! He fathered this little lady named Dustin (after my brother lol) but not sure which one mom is :idunno
88FD0903-4367-4878-8AF0-67A03E6ACE29.jpeg

Eggs or chicks?? Either one is insane! I wish I loved eggs that much!

Eggs for consumption lol 😂

But in the last couple months, feels like we’ve put that many in the incubators.

I would have to say that hatching eggs and having chickens is as addicting as anything :rolleyes: The other half doesn’t know it yet, but I’m going to deck that chicken area out! It will be the nicest, most landscaped area on the property

One valuable lesson I’ve learned in the batches we’ve hatched... the less I handle them and think about them, the more that hatch. It’s so weird! The first 4 emu eggs I weighed every day. ALL of them were duds. I’m sure I played a part in it some, but the 7 in the incubator now are weighed once a week and don’t think about them. A little worried they will all hatch 😑

Last important thing learned over the batches hatched - humidity shouldn’t ever be high during incubation. Best hatch so far was 25% to 30% humidity. The first two hatches we did were very sad, 7 plus fully developed chicks in each one didn’t make it. Opened them up and it seemed like they all drown in the excess liquid :(

Last edited:
Hi all!

I’m on day 9 of my first incubation. I’m concerned about my humidity, for the first week it’s been between 50-60% and I’ve now lowered it to 35-40%. Everyone I ask says something different and I don’t want to drown my chicks. ☹️ Should I keep it at 35-40 or go lower? Will that first week with being a bit high impact the chicks? Thanks

Hi all!

I’m on day 9 of my first incubation. I’m concerned about my humidity, for the first week it’s been between 50-60% and I’ve now lowered it to 35-40%. Everyone I ask says something different and I don’t want to drown my chicks. ☹ Should I keep it at 35-40 or go lower? Will that first week with being a bit high impact the chicks? Thanks

Hello!

In Washington state where I am, I have found that no water is needed in the incubator. Humidity stays between 25% and 30%. That level of humidity has produced better hatches than my previous 45% to 55% humidity range. Every area is different, where are you located?

Hello!

In Washington state where I am, I have found that no water is needed in the incubator. Humidity stays between 25% and 30%. That level of humidity has produced better hatches than my previous 45% to 55% humidity range. Every area is different, where are you located?

Thanks for your help! So you recommend not adding any more water? What about lockdown?

I’m in Orange, NSW Australia.

Hi all!

I’m on day 9 of my first incubation. I’m concerned about my humidity, for the first week it’s been between 50-60% and I’ve now lowered it to 35-40%. Everyone I ask says something different and I don’t want to drown my chicks. ☹ Should I keep it at 35-40 or go lower? Will that first week with being a bit high impact the chicks? Thanks
Use a candling guide to mark your air cells. If they look too small then lower humidity and too big you increase it.

Back
Top Bottom