Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

I get a basket and pick out all the 18 I'm spraying and cooling. I spread a towel on the floor and spray them with my distilled water I have in a spray bottle. I do chores till they dry then I put them back in the incubator.

And no I'm not messing with those 12. I want to see if they hatch regardless. I picked 12 because if I did only single digit amount of eggs it could be said that those wouldn't hatch anyways. I wanted to choose a good enough number without taking too many.

I'm only asking because I plan on spraying my Sebastopol goose eggs starting tomorrow. Last time I hatched goslings I didn't spray and they were all fine but I did have to assist 2 of the 3 goslings to hatch and I wonder if spraying would have brought them to a healthier weight allowing them to all hatch without assistance.

It will be interesting to see the results of spraying with a somewhat large sample size.

I was always told never to spray any egg, as the rapid cooling from evaporation wasn't good for the embryo, but I've never had to make any decisions about it because I don't typically do anything but chickens. I did do one tiny batch of duck eggs for a friend last fall and I just ran them a bit more humid than chickens and they were fine.

I'm only asking because I plan on spraying my Sebastopol goose eggs starting tomorrow. Last time I hatched goslings I didn't spray and they were all fine but I did have to assist 2 of the 3 goslings to hatch and I wonder if spraying would have brought them to a healthier weight allowing them to all hatch without assistance.
No idea, I think we all think of the what ifs. But I'm trying to see if spraying does have a benefit. I'm on day 13 I think it is. Tomorrow I'm actually taking out my turner because I don't turn chicken eggs after 14 days. I'll have to turn the duck eggs by hand for a week.

It will be interesting to see the results of spraying with a somewhat large sample size.

I was always told never to spray any egg, as the rapid cooling from evaporation wasn't good for the embryo, but I've never had to make any decisions about it because I don't typically do anything but chickens. I did do one tiny batch of duck eggs for a friend last fall and I just ran them a bit more humid than chickens and they were fine.
Yeah if I didn't throw those 3 chicken eggs in I could increase the humidity. The eggs will hatch on the 5th so I'll increase the humidity then. I think it's impossible to dry hatch ducks. I added 30 ml of distilled water again today. The humidity was 31% which is perfect for my chicken eggs.

I'll never try to do duck and chicken at the same time ever again. I probably will only do duck once a year anyways. I just couldn't help finding out who's laying these mini Cadbury eggs 😂

I'm going to be basing whether or not to spray the goose eggs on how quickly the air cell is growing. I would never spray chicken eggs though, the shells are too porous and it's just not necessary so I wouldn't want to complicate it. These goose eggs were really expensive so I'm really undecided at the moment. Two of the eggs are also quite dirty so I'm also picturing this spraying washing the protection off and allowing the funk to get to the babies...

2-24-20 Sebastopol Eggs!.JPG

I'm going to be basing whether or not to spray the goose eggs on how quickly the air cell is growing. I would never spray chicken eggs though, the shells are too porous and it's just not necessary so I wouldn't want to complicate it. These goose eggs were really expensive so I'm really undecided at the moment. Two of the eggs are also quite dirty so I'm also picturing this spraying washing the protection off and allowing the funk to get to the babies...
Yeah, see I would totally dip those in sanitizer. I sanitize all the eggs, and I've never had so many rotten weeping eggs as when I tried to salvage some goose eggs of my friend's without sanitizing them. Of course, to date I have not had any successful goose hatches, so not really one to listen to either :lau

Yeah, see I would totally dip those in sanitizer. I sanitize all the eggs, and I've never had so many rotten weeping eggs as when I tried to salvage some goose eggs of my friend's without sanitizing them. Of course, to date I have not had any successful goose hatches, so not really one to listen to either :lau

Last year when I asked the goose pros they said not to worry about the funk because waterfowl are messy and there's nothing to be done about it, lol! But these are the eggs that spurred me to ask last year and as you can see they're not nearly as dirty as the eggs I have now. I never thought I would see chickens as tidy but I'm clearly very spoiled. :lau

5-27-19 The 4 fertile eggs.jpg
6-15-19 (1).JPG

Last year when I asked the goose pros they said not to worry about the funk because waterfowl are messy and there's nothing to be done about it, lol! But these are the eggs that spurred me to ask last year and as you can see they're not nearly as dirty as the eggs I have now. I never thought I would see chickens as tidy but I'm clearly very spoiled. :lau

View attachment 2036213View attachment 2036214
Oh my goodness don't show me these 🙈 I want some

Back
Top Bottom