Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

😯 thanks for that info. What could be some reasons for quitters? I’m asking as a learning question.

Improper temps or humidity, improper turning of the egg, possibly the breeding stock they come from. Could be a number of things.

Sucks either way! But tis part of this hatching addiction. Why couldn’t it have been the mixes I got for free?!

Improper temps or humidity, improper turning of the egg, possibly the breeding stock they come from. Could be a number of things.

Sucks either way! But tis part of this hatching addiction. Why couldn’t it have been the mixes I got for free?!

I think the ones we want so desperately to make it are the ones that tend to have some complications. I really wanted my brown eggs to all make it and they’re so far the only ones I’ve had to remove. Out of 5, 2 were infertile. So now I’m hoping those 3 eggs make it.

Had to pull 1 clear (Orloff Sebright cross) and 3 quitters 😑 the 3 quitters were Deathlayers. Very sad panda...

View attachment 2038142

Oddly enough, they weren’t shipped. Their breeding stock is proven. Wonder why so many quitters before the end of the first week?

At some point I think I read something about a genetic flaw with Deathlayers that affects their hatchability. I can't remember the specifics for the life of me though, sorry. :confused:

At some point I think I read something about a genetic flaw with Deathlayers that affects their hatchability. I can't remember the specifics for the life of me though, sorry. :confused:

Hmmm 🤔 Looks like it’s time for me to do some reading. So far they are staying true to the first part of their name.

So I got up this morning and the colder spots were still there. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the plastic nesting material I am using to put the eggs on. I am considering removing it. Underneath I have 0,4 inch hardware cloth. Will this be ok for them to hatch on or are those holes to big? Also will this be to hard? I chose this nesting material to give them a softer landing.

So I got up this morning and the colder spots were still there. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the plastic nesting material I am using to put the eggs on. I am considering removing it. Underneath I have 0,4 inch hardware cloth. Will this be ok for them to hatch on or are those holes to big? Also will this be to hard? I chose this nesting material to give them a softer landing.
I relly could use some urgent advice on this, if the hw cloth is not ok, I need to run to the store to get something that will do the job

Back
Top Bottom