Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Happy birthday to both of my splash Marans babies! 🥰 I'm so in love.View attachment 2044931
At least 2 more in this bator are pipped, but it's hard to see (one BCM and one salmon faverolles). These two bumped the BCM pip and it rolled...trying not to be concerned about that.

Two are pipped downstairs, but taking their time.
:love :love :love :love

They're usually unfazed by pipping through a little blood vessel but I did have one get glued in by the amount of dried blood that pooled around it last month so just keep an eye on it. That was a first for me though so I don't think it's common.
Yeah, it was a first for me. Well... to catch when alive. I've seen a couple eggs in my first 2 batches develop the black spots on side of eggs and never hatch. So when I saw his yesterday I freaked and knew I had to do something. He's still alive this morning

I did it again 🤦‍♀️ I posted on another thread thinking I was on this one. Had anyone ever done that?
Anyway here’s what I posted that was meant for here:

Checked again. Still only one looks like a rooster. Here’s something I made, all the chicks’ feathers look like female side and only that male has feathers that look like that.
A662A1CB-69CB-4A47-8779-0DC0C0B0CB32.png

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh. None of my eggs were fertile. I’ll wait two more days and check again before chucking them.

I eat from the oldest forward and I have a few chickens I swear have held sperm for almost four weeks before and this just proves it. I rehomed a mixed marans cockerel six weeks ago and I’m eating eggs from 2 ish weeks ago. There are several that are fertile but none from now I guess. they wouldn’t have been around another cockerel for a month. That Orpington cockerel I just rehomed must have not been mating anyone!

sometimes things work out for the best. I really didn’t need anything else.... and now my brooders will be open if a couple of geese look at me the right way in April. :oops:

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh. None of my eggs were fertile. I’ll wait two more days and check again before chucking them.

I eat from the oldest forward and I have a few chickens I swear have held sperm for almost four weeks before and this just proves it. I rehomed a mixed marans cockerel six weeks ago and I’m eating eggs from 2 ish weeks ago. There are several that are fertile but none from now I guess. they wouldn’t have been around another cockerel for a month. That Orpington cockerel I just rehomed must have not been mating anyone!

sometimes things work out for the best. I really didn’t need anything else.... and now my brooders will be open if a couple of geese look at me the right way in April. :oops:

I actually need to start inspecting my olive egger eggs to make sure the OE roo is mating with them because I need a total of ten good fertile eggs. Out of the 8 I set this time around 6 hatched happy and healthy. Two were dead fully formed in their shells. So I think that’s a good ratio for now. He’s not a nice roo. Like he will eat first and not care to share with his hens until he gets his fill. I may get another in a year or two because he’s not nice to his girls.

I did it again 🤦‍♀️ I posted on another thread thinking I was on this one. Had anyone ever done that?
Anyway here’s what I posted that was meant for here:

Checked again. Still only one looks like a rooster. Here’s something I made, all the chicks’ feathers look like female side and only that male has feathers that look like that.
View attachment 2045010
I'm interested to see how accurate this is for your birds.

Another backyardchicken person. Magicman1623 He did an egg swap for seeds/plants. I know someone in the feb hatchalong said they were gettings eggs from him too but can't remember who. My shipped eggs (10 going, including 4 marans I'm not sure on) are from him. They are supposed to hatch in 6 days so I was wondering if anyone had some hatch already so I could see what they might look like. It's a backyard mix.
Sounds awesome

I'm interested to see how accurate this is for your birds.

Hopefully I’ll know within a month but for sure by 3 months I’ll know.

So I just checked my OE eggs and NONE are fertilized!! I’m not surprised. The girls don’t like Chili (my OE roo) so great! I may not be hatching OE for the annual hatch a long. Is there a way to encourage mating? (No wonder all my OE eggs were fertilized by my leghorn!). Now that they’re contained I’m getting zero fertilized OE eggs.

Back
Top Bottom