Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Yeah, I’m using lids from jars in the brooder. I suppose some people might take that as a sign to slow down.... :confused:
I'm sending my husband to tractor supply to get me a waterer screw on bottom so that I can just screw on a mason jar.

We bought a waterer at tractor supply and it leaks.

I'll only buy the screw on waterers because the one that we got is pretty much useless and a waste of money. It's the one that has tabs that slide into slots, if that makes any sense... The thing always leaks and it drives me nuts

i have heard that is a good way to determine things. I’m bad at math so that gives me a bit of anxiety but I am considering it although I do have a lot of eggs. Thank you I will most likely try that you’re right
Somewhere way earlier on this thread I posted the excel formula for figuring out whether they're on track or not.

It's a cutie. I never could keep the button quail babies alive. They'd fall asleep away from the heat or literally in the waterer. But the adult were fun and cute. Very sensative to even Georgia's mild cold I learned the hard way. When I can keep a few in an indoor aviary, I'll try again.
LOL don’t curse me! My bf left it in the incubator overnight because he’s afraid of killing it. I guess that is my job when I get up there today. Ugh. Hopefully it won’t drown. I had my first drowning a couple weeks ago. The chick was weak and likely on its way out anyway, but overnight it ended up in the water dish. Lovely find the next morning. The other chicks were milled around trying to figure out how to drink around it. :thSlightly traumatizing.

I'm sending my husband to tractor supply to get me a waterer screw on bottom so that I can just screw on a mason jar.

We bought a waterer at tractor supply and it leaks.

I'll only buy the screw on waterers because the one that we got is pretty much useless and a waste of money. It's the one that has tabs that slide into slots, if that makes any sense... The thing always leaks and it drives me nuts
I hear ya!!! they are driving me nuts... I bought a huge 30 litre one that I will try out once the chicks are bigger. I am still trying to find the perfect one... big enough yet no leakage.

I hear ya!!! they are driving me nuts... I bought a huge 30 litre one that I will try out once the chicks are bigger. I am still trying to find the perfect one... big enough yet no leakage.
I only like the ones with the screw on bottom.

The one thing that I have found that works the best is getting a 5-gallon bucket and putting the water cups on it. I did this last year and we still have it, they use it every single day.

LOL don’t curse me! My bf left it in the incubator overnight because he’s afraid of killing it. I guess that is my job when I get up there today. Ugh. Hopefully it won’t drown. I had my first drowning a couple weeks ago. The chick was weak and likely on its way out anyway, but overnight it ended up in the water dish. Lovely find the next morning. The other chicks were milled around trying to figure out how to drink around it. :thSlightly traumatizing.

Oh my goodness I'm so sorry you experienced that! :hugs I made a huge mistake last year, I leave large stainless steel dog bowls out with water in them for the hens to dip their heads in and sometimes stand in when it's hot out...well I had broody hens running around with chicks...I lost a baby in a dog bowl. :(
Quail can't wait as long in the incubator as chickens, if I remember correctly it's recommended to move them to the brooder after 24 hours so it might be a good idea to move your little bumble bee. 🐝

Emu eggs will fit in an NR360??? I need to know the details. lol, I was prepared to buy a cabinet incubator to try hatching emus but I already have 3 NR360s!

From what I remember... they basically raised the height with styrofoam. A platform of sorts for the lid. Either taped it to the lid or base, I don’t remember, but it didn’t look rickety. Remember emu eggs are incubated at a lower temp than chickens, and they need lots of good air circulation. The biggest hindrance I see with using the nr360 would be trying to keep the humidity steady.

Back
Top Bottom