Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Well this was an abysmal hatch for me, but hey. You can’t win ‘em all. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’ve been left with 2 live chicks out of 14 eggs total. The breakdown:

Icelandics:
7 eggs total
1 clear
2 quitters around day 13-ish
2 DIS just prior to lckdown
1 DIS, not pipped, feet over head and head back on day 21.
1 live, healthy chick (Kermit)

silkies:
7 eggs total. All fertile.
1 quitter d12
1 quitter d14
1 quitter d18, prior to lockdown
2 quit around lockdown; checked on d21. Lots of yolk left, d19-20?
1 DIS on d21, this one bothers me the most. I made safety holes in the 2 remaining eggs, watched egg movement. No pips, pulled eggs out to check. Peeled some shell back, movement inside from the chick but couldn’t see much else. No beak visible. Dead within an hour! :( opened up the egg and I’m pretty sure it suffocated. Had it’s head tucked down on the right side of its body, under its wing but then somehow between its right leg and the shell. Couldn’t get it’s head up to pip and not enough room to pip out the side. 😭
Annnnnnd 1 live, very labour intensive chick that just hatched this morning. Silver partridge. Will add a pic once I get one. :)

About half of these eggs wound up malpositioned. Which throws me because they were on their sides throughout incubation, except for the Icelandic’s which were large end up for about 2 days in a carton with the incubator tipped for turning. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Well this was an abysmal hatch for me, but hey. You can’t win ‘em all. 🤷🏼‍♀️ I’ve been left with 2 live chicks out of 14 eggs total. The breakdown:

Icelandics:
7 eggs total
1 clear
2 quitters around day 13-ish
2 DIS just prior to lckdown
1 DIS, not pipped, feet over head and head back on day 21.
1 live, healthy chick (Kermit)

silkies:
7 eggs total. All fertile.
1 quitter d12
1 quitter d14
1 quitter d18, prior to lockdown
2 quit around lockdown; checked on d21. Lots of yolk left, d19-20?
1 DIS on d21, this one bothers me the most. I made safety holes in the 2 remaining eggs, watched egg movement. No pips, pulled eggs out to check. Peeled some shell back, movement inside from the chick but couldn’t see much else. No beak visible. Dead within an hour! :( opened up the egg and I’m pretty sure it suffocated. Had it’s head tucked down on the right side of its body, under its wing but then somehow between its right leg and the shell. Couldn’t get it’s head up to pip and not enough room to pip out the side. 😭
Annnnnnd 1 live, very labour intensive chick that just hatched this morning. Silver partridge. Will add a pic once I get one. :)

About half of these eggs wound up malpositioned. Which throws me because they were on their sides throughout incubation, except for the Icelandic’s which were large end up for about 2 days in a carton with the incubator tipped for turning. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Were these shipped? Shipped eggs will typically have a higher number of malpositions and DIS regardless of how they incubate or how healthy the embryos are growing. Just too much trauma to the egg even if they look otherwise completely normal.

Were these shipped? Shipped eggs will typically have a higher number of malpositions and DIS regardless of how they incubate or how healthy the embryos are growing. Just too much trauma to the egg even if they look otherwise completely normal.

I’ve also had a poor hatch with my shipped eggs. 10 made it to lockdown, 1 pipped at the right time but needed my help to unzip. One pipped internally and I’ve started to assist as it made no progress. The rest look dead, I’ve made safety holes but I’m not hopeful. ☹️

I had another pipe and zipped took it 4 hours to hatch some assist from me, I put coconut oil on the membrane so it could finish the zip and hatch, it's a hatchery white rock

Attachments

• 20200330_161406.jpg
    20200330_161406.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 2
No, they were from 2 local suppliers. I can’t speak for how they were handled prior but I packed them extra carefully and even had someone else drive so I could hang onto them on the way home so they wouldn’t be too jostled. :( The last 2 silkie eggs were those long, bullet shaped eggs so I assumed I would have to watch those closely. 🤷🏼‍♀️ The supplier of those eggs said from her original stock, the first 2 birds of her flock were the 2 sole hatched chicks from 4 dozen eggs. 😱

Back
Top Bottom