Tissue damage to comb (picture)?

dogdollar

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2010
One of my Production Red hens has black spots on her comb....I am wondering if this area was injured and this is healing, or if it's something else. Another of the hens has a spot like this, too, but not as large. I really appreciate any help, thanks.
spotsoncomb3.jpg

DD

Do you have mosquitoes biting? I know it is mosquito season here BIG TIME. I think she likely has fowl pox. Although it could be an injury. Look at your other birds--if they also have any scabbing, fowl pox.

It looks like someone got a nice peck on her comb. She should be fine. But fowl pox is a possibility just watch to see if it spreads.

It looks like someone has been pecking at her. Occasionally our girls have random power struggles and the low bird on the totem pole always comes out with a black spotted comb (exactly like your girls comb) from pecking. Judging by your picture I'm almost 100% positive that's what it is but definitely keep an eye out for other symptoms that might point to a disease
wink.png

Quote:
...and what would you suggest I do if it spreads?
Thanks,
DD

If it spreads to other parts of her comb separate her from the rest of your flock. If it's fowl pox the disease should run it's course in about 3-5 weeks and she should be ok after that!

Back
Top Bottom