Titan Brooder/brooder plates experience high heat- ?

Ivyrae

Songster
6 Years
May 12, 2015
Hi there!

wondering if anyone has experience with the Titan Brooder plate?

we have always used heat lamps for our chicks but finally bought a brooding plate and was so excited to use it for our chicks!
it came in the mail yesterday so I tested it out for a bit and it hardly had any heat. after everything I've read I thought this may just be normal, so I put it in with our 1.5 week chicks and they seemed very happy and comfy and quieter than ever! they went right under.

however, as time went on I realized that the actual heat plate is now SO darn hot. I cannot keep my hand on it.

I am wondering if this is normal or if anyone has experience with heat plates and/or issues with defective heat plates?
the instructions don't say anything about the plate seeming this hot, and explain how chicks should be able to touch it. there is no way !

I appreciate the insight!

here is a photo of the brooder plate. I moved it to another plug to try in case it was an electrical issue (it still seems way too hot).

IMG_20210507_102011.jpg

I feel bad taking it from the chicks since they were so cozy under it, but I was worried they would get hurt! they are back with the heat lamp.

Last edited:
I don’t have these heating plate but a cheaper brand. Can you unplug it to let it cool down and then plug it back in? Does it get just as hot right away?

I don’t have these heating plate but a cheaper brand. Can you unplug it to let it cool down and then plug it back in? Does it get just as hot right away?
it seems to! they seem to like going under it, but I fear if they were to touch it they would get burnt. it is so hot! I hate dealing with online returns 😓 some reviews say it is very hot and while is supposed to be, while others say it isn't that hot at all!

it seems to! they seem to like going under it, but I fear if they were to touch it they would get burnt. it is so hot! I hate dealing with online returns 😓 some reviews say it is very hot and while is supposed to be, while others say it isn't that hot at all!
I have the same exact plate and I introduced it at 5 days old and b/c they didnt go right under it, and b/c I'm a new chick momma, I got nervous and took it out and back to red lamp. I personally didnt like the idea of not being able to see them often. I think that now they are 2 weeks old, I am hunting for a pack and play and I will try the plate again, but have it set much higher. I did notice using it, it doesnt radiate heat; nor does it have a setting for the heat which makes me question it. I guess the chicks are supposed to be touching it. I spent $50 and purchased the triangle top for $15. I too do not like returning things, so, I may resell it. 🐥 💗 Good Luck

I’ve used the same plate with great success. The temps are controlled by the height at which the plate is set. The Titan is not a contact plate, but radiates heat, hence the high temps you feel when you touch it. You can create an slope on the plate to allow the chicks to choose the temperature that suits them, should you wish.

I’ve used the same plate with great success. The temps are controlled by the height at which the plate is set. The Titan is not a contact plate, but radiates heat, hence the high temps you feel when you touch it. You can create an slope on the plate to allow the chicks to choose the temperature that suits them, should you wish.
I have heard such conflicting experiences! the instructions say they are supposed to be able to touch it, and in the photos they are touching it.

is yours so hot that you cannot put your hand on it? (just want to add that I am not sensitive to heat, I worked in a kitchen for many years and can tolerate touching more heat than most folks lol) just ask in the off chance that I have a dud.... I have only read about brooder plate experiences where people are able to keep their hand on.

appreciate the insight!! thanks!

I have heard such conflicting experiences! the instructions say they are supposed to be able to touch it, and in the photos they are touching it.

is yours so hot that you cannot put your hand on it? (just want to add that I am not sensitive to heat, I worked in a kitchen for many years and can tolerate touching more heat than most folks lol) just ask in the off chance that I have a dud.... I have only read about brooder plate experiences where people are able to keep their hand on.

appreciate the insight!! thanks!
It becomes far too hot to tolerate very quickly. If you try the legs of the plate at the first setting and then observe if the chicks go under the plate or not. If not, it’s too hot, so the legs should be raised. If they go under the plate and come out to eat / drink then the temperature is likely ok. That’s the way I approached it, at least and it worked :confused:

It becomes far too hot to tolerate very quickly. If you try the legs of the plate at the first setting and then observe if the chicks go under the plate or not. If not, it’s too hot, so the legs should be raised. If they go under the plate and come out to eat / drink then the temperature is likely ok. That’s the way I approached it, at least and it worked :confused:
ok thank you. I'm very glad to hear that! I was really bummed and felt I had wasted my money, lol. I was afraid I'd wake up to some chicken nuggets...

I'll give it another (supervised) go haha

I know this thread is a year old. I have just gotten the same brooder, and it feels super hot (burning) to the touch.
So did we decide the chicks shouldn't come into contact with the plate it at all? I should raise it ABOVE where it is possible they can touch?

I know this thread is a year old. I have just gotten the same brooder, and it feels super hot (burning) to the touch.
So did we decide the chicks shouldn't come into contact with the plate it at all? I should raise it ABOVE where it is possible they can touch?
I would suggest so, yes. It’s all about observing your chicks. Too hot and they won’t use it, too cool and they will likely huddle under it and rarely venture out to feed / explore.

Back
Top Bottom