TLC for these sweeties!

pmoore

Chirping
May 13, 2018
Ohio
I'm a new turkey owner to these sweet little guys- a blue slate tom and a royal palm hen. These two are in rough shape. Their feathers are in terrible condition, they do not roost at night so their breast feathers are basically gone. They came from basically a mud pit. Despite the poor condition, they are absolute sweethearts and love human interaction.
What can I do to help their feathering? Is there any way I can coax them to roost at night? To put my mind at ease in regards to their security.
I'm excited about our new members and just want to know what I can do to help them out as much as possible!
Thanks in advance!
Here's a picture of these two sweets wandering around the barn, checking out their new home.
20180625_181634_HDR.jpg

I’m new as well.Sitting then on the roost at night would help get them in the habit.Added a showbird feed or feather fixer feed to their diet,they may not fix up till they moly.

I'm a new turkey owner to these sweet little guys- a blue slate tom and a royal palm hen. These two are in rough shape. Their feathers are in terrible condition, they do not roost at night so their breast feathers are basically gone. They came from basically a mud pit. Despite the poor condition, they are absolute sweethearts and love human interaction.
What can I do to help their feathering? Is there any way I can coax them to roost at night? To put my mind at ease in regards to their security.
I'm excited about our new members and just want to know what I can do to help them out as much as possible!
Thanks in advance!
Here's a picture of these two sweets wandering around the barn, checking out their new home.
View attachment 1444680
The feathers are going to look pretty bad until they molt. You can help them out by giving them some BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) but make sure that the BOSS and any other treats you give them is no more than 10% of their diet. BOSS is a good source for methionine which will help the feathers.

You should give them an all flock feed that is at least 20% protein to help improve their condition. The more you can free range them the better it will be for them. Be sure to provide free choice oyster shell.

Build roosts that are stair stepped at 2', 4' and 6' tall and allow them to choose the height they want to roost at. You could also give them a bale of straw or hay to get up on.

Your tom is not a Blue Slate. He appears to be a Lavender (aka Self Blue). Blue Slate have irregular black spots on their feathers while the Lavender does not.

I cannot tell if your hen is just wet and dirty or if she has another color than black an white on her. Royal Palms are only black and white and if they have any other than those two colors they are not Royal Palms.

Good luck.

The feathers are going to look pretty bad until they molt. You can help them out by giving them some BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) but make sure that the BOSS and any other treats you give them is no more than 10% of their diet. BOSS is a good source for methionine which will help the feathers.

You should give them an all flock feed that is at least 20% protein to help improve their condition. The more you can free range them the better it will be for them. Be sure to provide free choice oyster shell.

Build roosts that are stair stepped at 2', 4' and 6' tall and allow them to choose the height they want to roost at. You could also give them a bale of straw or hay to get up on.

Your tom is not a Blue Slate. He appears to be a Lavender (aka Self Blue). Blue Slate have irregular black spots on their feathers while the Lavender does not.

I cannot tell if your hen is just wet and dirty or if she has another color than black an white on her. Royal Palms are only black and white and if they have any other than those two colors they are not Royal Palms.

Good luck.
They are on a 20% all flock crumble and I do give BOSS, a small handful each morning. I have their run fenced in for now, but once they're acclimated to their new home I will let them free range. I've never heard of a Lavender turkey, but I'm excited about him nonetheless! As for the hen, she is just black and white, also extremely dirty and missing feathers everywhere.
Thank you! This is very helpful!

They are on a 20% all flock crumble and I do give BOSS, a small handful each morning. I have their run fenced in for now, but once they're acclimated to their new home I will let them free range. I've never heard of a Lavender turkey, but I'm excited about him nonetheless! As for the hen, she is just black and white, also extremely dirty and missing feathers everywhere.
Thank you! This is very helpful!
Blue Slate do not breed true. The possible outcomes from a mating of Blue Slates are 50% Blue Slate, 25% Self Blue (aka Lavender) and 25% Black. All too often people who do not know any better will pass Lavenders off as being Blue Slates. Lavender will breed true.

Crossing a Lavender tom with a Royal Palm hen will produce Tri-Color Mottled Slate poults.

Blue Slate do not breed true. The possible outcomes from a mating of Blue Slates are 50% Blue Slate, 25% Self Blue (aka Lavender) and 25% Black. All too often people who do not know any better will pass Lavenders off as being Blue Slates. Lavender will breed true.

Crossing a Lavender tom with a Royal Palm hen will produce Tri-Color Mottled Slate poults.
I'm hoping I can nurse them back to health a little more before they try to breed. Is that a seasonal thing or do they breed year-round?

I'm hoping I can nurse them back to health a little more before they try to breed. Is that a seasonal thing or do they breed year-round?
It is a seasonal thing but it is still the season. It usually starts in February and runs a few more months from now before the hens start refusing. It can really be hard on a hen if there is only one hen for the tom. I try to keep at least four to five hens for one tom.

Here's their progress so far! In a week they've started roosting, free-ranging in the evening, and taking treats from us when we sit in the yard and watch them. They look much cleaner despite the poor condition of their feathers! They've been great so far, hoping for continued progress :)
20180629_170350.jpg

Back
Top Bottom