TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

I'm 35 so I can totally relate. I survived the hot metal playground slide, skidding across the asphalt when i wrecked my bike, countless moto-x bike crashes and trips to the ER,
riding around on dirt roads hoodsurfing on my friends cars. I played in the dirt and ate without washing my hands, drank from creeks, played with dangerous toys...remember lawn darts???? now even the dart boards have soft tipped darts.

I just watched a couple segments on 60 minutes, one was about MRSA, a supervirus, resistant to antibiotics...what did people expect would happen?? doctors kept handing out antibiotics for every little thing, got a sniffle..take an antibiotic..eventually the virus will mutate and become resistant to the antibiotics, next thing you know nobody has an immune system that will defend you from any kind of bacteria.

the other segment was about Generation Y, the millenias
those children born between 1981–1995
The Millennials were raised, by and large, by active, involved parents who often interceded on their behalf. Protective Boomer and Xer parents tried to ensure their children would grow up safely and be treated well. Parents challenged poor grades, negotiated with the soccer coach, visited college campuses with their charges

pretty much a generation that was babied by their parents and now they are facing the real world

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3486473n

I saw the segement on the millenials...I wanted to slap them all silly...a bunch of spoiled selfish brats!
I would never ever call a job and ask for my kid to get a better review! That takes ballsobrass...
Then they go to college and move home!!While these were in college, I'd pack up and move to Idaho!with no forwarding address.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays

Man we used those to shoot each other in BB gun wars. I have the scars to prove it. Yep things have changed a lot. I'm fifty-six and have seen a lot of changes, Some for the better. But it was a different time and I look back on it fondly.
Oh yea ! Stepped on nails running around barefooted and just limped around for a few days not daring to tell the folks so as not to have to go the DR.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Man we used those to shoot each other in BB gun wars. I have the scars to prove it. Yep things have changed a lot. I'm fifty-six and have seen a lot of changes, Some for the better. But it was a different time and I look back on it fondly.
Oh yea ! Stepped on nails running around barefooted and just limped around for a few days not daring to tell the folks so as not to have to go the DR.

oh i forgot my little brother and I did that too..like paintball but with BB guns...ya know the saying "you'll shoot your eye out!" I almost did get hit in the eye once...i peeked around teh side of an old boat hull to see if I could spot my bother and he took a shot at me and the BB skimmed right along the side of my eye and along my temple ...that was the end of BB gun wars

I think kids are too structured and get into trouble because they never learned how to entertain themselves. Too bad there isn't very many backyards any more and kids have to go stand by the bus stops supervised now a days... just to bring home the next "sex offender moved in to this so and so block" note from class.

Give a kid a real hammer and a toy house made of wood. It would be good to learn hammers are not meant to be used as weapons and you get splinters from stuff called... wood!

Hey I was born in 92 and I am not spoiled or a brat. My Parents yell at me not my teachers when I get a bad grade.
I definatly do not believe that my parents are over involved in my life. this whole chicken thing is my project I actualy want to be a farmer. hey and I have got Airshop guns and we play paintball all the time.

Henry

Quote:
the thing is...the sex offenders didn't just pop up all over the place in the past few years, they were there when we were kids...we just didn't know it.

hcammock ....there are always exceptions...the generation y thing is generalization so dont take it personally
smile.png

Last edited:
I used to go walking by myself between the ages of 5 and 12, along a busy highway. No one ever bothered me. My mom always nearly had a heart attack cause I would forget the time.

I grass sledded down a hill with a piece of card board wow what a blast... Almost slid in th creek which actually had water in it.

Spend several hours in a kids fort he built UNDER ground with boards over the tunnel so the cows wouldn't fall in lmao...

Nothing ever happened to me. Rode my bike in the rain with a friend 15 miles to a neighboring town to see friends... *got a ride back* (winks) The guy drove 120 down the highway scared the crap out of me!

Of all the kids I knew that got drivers liscences only one died in a car wreck. They were racing. The kids at school were freaked out for weeks.

Riding horses at breakneck speed without training lol... Rode my bike everywhere with no protective gear.

Never had parents with me when me and my sisters went trick or treating.

My kids never got to come in unless it was raining, or supper tiime. Made them play outside.

Only got them 3 toys for christmas, two crummy ones and a nice one.

Crawled all over our garage because it was huge and roomy with loads of neat junk in it.

Some of the things we did we never told my mom till she was about 60 LMAO.

I know theres more but...

Oh yeah... Sunday night watching Bonanza before bed, then sneaking out of the room and peeking around the corner to watch the next show!!!

Arklady

Haha, yeah, I myself never saw the decades listed, nor do I remember any of the 80's as I was only in it a few years and too young to recall anything from it. There are always exceptions.

And I thought we were generation "me"?

You were generation "me" silkiechicken, us old timers (I'm 49) are Baby Boomers, barefooted, bike riding, ball playing, date at 16, drive in movie kids. The age of entitlement is what the kids are that spottedcrow would move off and leave no forwarding address for!! haha! I didn't eat worms like wildsky --only because I was the oldest was smart enough to feed them to my sister and not eat them myself!! I fed her mudpies and exlax too, what can I say, she was gullible!! I did say yes sir, no sir, still do too and so does my son, my daughter never did much of that as hard as we tried. I forgot who said they were never sick, but that must have been another benefit to the outdoor living era becasue I am healthy as a an ole mule and still go barefoot in my yard most of the year! The only chickens I knew about growing up were my grnadmothers, from Alabama, and I remember grabbing the last chick in the parade behind the moma and she chased me onto the porch wanting her biddie back! My Grandmother lived i the country, my Granddad's job was to monitor the canal for animals or people that might has fallen in the water. He drove his old pickup, me in it alot! up and down the canl for miles. I think he is my son's guardian angel. I digress.....good times though.....

Back
Top Bottom