*****To all you newbies!!!*****

I agree with all that you just said!

• Yes, I agree!

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • No, I don't. (Please explain why below)

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Hu? I don't understand.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Pics

cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
To all you newbies!!!

Chicken wire: Only purpose is to keep chickens in.

Raccoons and coyotes (plus others) will easily rip through it. Smaller animals will chew it. If you use chicken wire for your pens, I recommend getting hardware cloth instead.

Chicken wire:
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.44.36 AM.png

Hardware Cloth:
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 10.45.03 AM.png

Please don't use chicken wire for your chickens housing!!!!
Just a warning.

While I agree with your comment, I have used everything from pheasant aviary fence from the game commission (like 6 foot chicken wire) to plastic garden fence & now chain link dog kennels & I have had 1 chicken taken from the run in 27 years. The top is covered with deer netting. They are locked up at night in a predator proof coop & are let out at sun up by an automatic door. I have foxes, raccoons, an occasional bear, possums & many other things. I have been lucky & I know that, but people free ranging loose chickens all the time & I hate working with hardware cloth! It all depends on your tolerance of losses. YMMV

While I agree with your comment, I have used everything from pheasant aviary fence from the game commission (like 6 foot chicken wire) to plastic garden fence & now chain link dog kennels & I have had 1 chicken taken from the run in 27 years. The top is covered with deer netting. They are locked up at night in a predator proof coop & are let out at sun up by an automatic door. I have foxes, raccoons, an occasional bear, possums & many other things. I have been lucky & I know that, but people free ranging loose chickens all the time & I hate working with hardware cloth! It all depends on your tolerance of losses. YMMV

Yes, I guess it does depend on your tolerance of losses. But for the safest coop: use harware cloth!

To all you newbies!!!

Chicken wire: Only purpose is to keep chickens in.

Raccoons and coyotes (plus others) will easily rip through it. Smaller animals will chew it. If you use chicken wire for your pens, I recommend getting hardware cloth instead.

Chicken wire:

View attachment 2174585
Hardware Cloth:
View attachment 2174587
Please don't use chicken wire for your chickens housing!!!!
Just a warning.

Hi! I’m brand new and building a coop. Do you have any suggestions for roofing material. I have several opossums in my area. Thinking plastic corrugated panels with hardware cloth underneath...would that be overkill or recommended?
Thank you!

Hi! I’m brand new and building a coop. Do you have any suggestions for roofing material. I have several opossums in my area. Thinking plastic corrugated panels with hardware cloth underneath...would that be overkill or recommended?
Thank you!

Hmm, I'm not sure. It would be nice to see pictures of you setup. :) Maybe you should start a new thread here: Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance. Then lots of people can help you! :)

Although I agree chicken wire provides minimum defense I do not believe hardware cloth provides near what people think.
I've watched dogs go through hardware cloth almost as quick as they do chicken wire.
It does do well against small creatures but if you have larger predators it won't stop a determined one. It's definitely over rated.
Your best bet is 1/2" X 1" or 1" X 1" welded wire.

Although I agree chicken wire provides minimum defense I do not believe hardware cloth provides near what people think.
I've watched dogs go through hardware cloth almost as quick as they do chicken wire.
It does do well against small creatures but if you have larger predators it won't stop a determined one. It's definitely over rated.
Your best bet is 1/2" X 1" or 1" X 1" welded wire.

Where most people live hardware cloth will work fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom