To amputate or cull?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Pavo Royale, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    I have one peachick with a bad leg...bad enough to amputate. My question is: Can peafowl lead a fairyl normal life on one leg aside from mating. Thanks in advance. Mitch

2. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    We just put ours down, because of the weight of the peafowl it's bad for the other leg, now it would be different if they spent more time flying.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  3. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Andy from Andy's Peafowl Sanctuary amputated a peachick's leg. He did it a while ago and I don't know how she is doing but he has some videos of her:

4. DMFarm

DMFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Winona Tx
    Minx
    I think andy hen died. I agree with Steve best to put them down one leg won't hold there body weight as they get older.

5. Pavo Royale

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    I want to put her down but my wife is attached to the little thing. Anyway, I will get a vet to do the dirty work if we go that route. Thanks for the responses, and I agree that since peas spend nearly all of their time walking that the bird would have a hard life.

6. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Maybe if you post a picture someone can tell you how to cure it or let you know if there is little hope.

7. Pavo Royale

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    Thanks, but it is way beyond a cure.

8. Choctaw Valley Farm

Choctaw Valley Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Oklahoma
    What will happen is that the other leg will twist around at the knee that could cause a slipped tendon causing more pain which would mean putting her down, I know it's a hard thing to do but sometimes it's for the best of the bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by