To AUTO Turn Or NOT To AUTO Turn?.. Which Is Best?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 1234duck, Feb 17, 2011.

1. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Some people like or use the auto turner in the incubator, while some prefer to turn by hand 3-4 Xs a day. *Does it really make a difference either way on the hatching or well being of the duckling?? ~ I want all 8 fertile eggs to be a safe hatch. <<< It's Day 9 In the Incubator WITH Auto Turner for 8 Fertile Duck Eggs, Should I Continue/Leave Them Or Remove Auto Turner?? Thanks, Julie

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    While the auto turners make things easier, I hand turn everything, especially Call duck eggs.

3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    I would do it with the turner. Turning by hand requires that you open the incubator, which means you lose all the humidity and heat. There are really no advantages to hand turning other than an emotional attachment to the eggs (not necissarily a good thing) and the fact that you can fit more eggs in the 'bator. Also, an auto-turner turns the eggs 24/7 as opposed to you only turning them 3x a day, and not at all at night. This is a much better way to go IMO. Good Luck with the hatch! [​IMG]

Grammar fix'd [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  4. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I would hand turn them. Duck eggs seem to do better on their sides.
    I incubated 9 mallard eggs and I did a test myself. 5 were hand turned on their sides, and 4 were in the auto turner. I gave away 2 eggs to my friend who had a broody hen, one each of side and auto turned eggs. Of the two I gave away, the side one hatched and the auto turned one didn't, and of the 7 I had remaining, all the side ones hatched, and one out of the auto turned eggs hatched, and he's a runt and he wouldn't have gotten out of the egg if I hadn't gotten him out. (I eventually gave my friend 2 of the ducklings to keep the sole one company, and all turned out female while all mine turned out male *face slap*)

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My Incubator has a roll turner- so the eggs can lay on their sides- and be turned automatically. I bought it specifically because of that function. I did buy an auto turner in my first incubator- but only used it the first few times - and then later for chicken and quail eggs. I have found through my own incubation that Duck eggs do so much better laying down in a more natural state.

6. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Duck eggs develop better if they get turned hourly in the first week. After that it is ok to go down to 4-6 times per day. So I always use a turner. It is also true that duck egg do better laying on their sides with the pointed end pointing down. I basically use goose egg rails in my incubator.

7. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I do both at the same time That way if I dont get to them (gotta work or something)at least the auto turner works. Ive tried both and when I combined them I get the best of both worlds. But if you can do it every time hand turning wins by a shade. But ever since I've did both no down side at all.

8. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank You! Very helpful~ Julie

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I've used an autoturner on chicken eggs, but for Calls, hand turning is best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by