To be or not to be - introducing chicks to hens

So sorry to hear about your speckled sussexs. I had 2 of those. They are the tamest and sweetest birds around that I know, but they are very protective of their space. My introduction didn't go well after about 5 attempts. I started loooking for a new home for my 4 adults. I finally found a lady who had five hens, and a critter had gotten to 4 of them througha hole in their fortress. They fixed that hole, but only had one hen and she was dubbed lonely red. When the four girls arrived to her home, lonely red was thrilled and the other four mingled around like it was nothing and have been doing great. Odd how it works for some flocks but not for others. I miss them, but I am also happy to have helped this lady out and replace her flock. Hope your speckled sussex makes it..
hugs.gif

Thanks. It's made it through 48 hours now and I found a vet who looked at it today. ($80 for my $3 chick) I"m going to have to wash the skinless area twice a day for a long time, he told me, removing the scabs as they form. I also have to bandage its neck, which I'd already been doing. It's a nightmare making the little bandages up. Then I have to wrap her whole neck with pink non-stick wrap. All the skin the hen had removed was hanging still, purple and cold like a piece of liver, atrophied. They weren't able to reattach it, of course, but thank goodness they cut it off and cauterized it. Yikes! The sad thing is that she won't be living with her 10 bunkmates for a long time. I hung a mirror in her cage for company and she really seems to like herself.
smile.png

Yes, it sounds like you did a good thing for Lonely Red, too.

Last edited:
Hi, I am new to the chicken world. We have 8 laying hens (two Rhode Island, two black sex link, one Buff Orpington, one Barred Rock, and two Americaunas) and recently picked up two Cochin chickies, two Leghorn chickies, and one white and brown critter that turned out to be a rooster. These are about 2-3 months old. Then, we picked up two more chickies that are only about 4 weeks old now.

My coop has a large section, with a smaller section chicken-wired off. The 5 mid sized chickies were raised in the small section, within sight and smell of the laying hens for easily a month. On Monday, I put the mid sized chickies in with the hens and the two smallest chickies in the separated area.

On Tuesday night, I came home, and one of the Cochins had been killed by the hens. They had smashed their own eggs. I immediately separated all age groups, but I do need to eventually put them all together. What did I do wrong? I would love any advice.

Thanks, Taryn

I've read that if you want to integrate 2 flocks, they should be side by side in the pen, but separated, for a few weeks so they can see each other. Then put them together under cover of darkness. Theory being that if they all wake up together, they'll all be friends. Dunno if its true, but will be trying it in a few months when my babies are bigger.

Here is what i do.

I have 14 laying hens right now in a 20x20 coop (yes they live the life) and a half an acre enclosed run. Right next to it we built the baby coop. it is 8x8 with a fairly small run. They are fenced right next to the big ones so they get use to them. One of the babies slipped through the gate and was attacked by one of our roos (their going to the pot this week) but the hens had no problems accepting them. My first try i just put them together at night and it has been peaceful ever since. Do not try doing it during the day!!!!! They could be seriously hurt or even killed.

I have also used the practice of introducing new birds in the evenings, at roosting time, with good results. Perhaps it taps some natural instict and forces them to socialize for protection purposes. Good thread.

I had the same problem introducing mine too what i found was letting them out at different times like letting the little ones out first to scratch them later the bigger ones the get more concerned with being out and scratching and they payless attention to the little ones i stayed out with mine and i would shoo them away when they got fussy with the chicks then after awhile they just let them be. Hope this helps good luck. I was just going to go get somemore now you made me rethink since it was so much fun the first time.

Back
Top Bottom