To big for a brooder to small for the coop. Help!

backwoodsmamma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
I have 21 Chicks that are between 3-4 weeks old. I have been keeping them in a 75 gallon stock tank with light for there brooder. 10 of the chicks are Sex Links and have grown really really fast. The others are Wyondottes they are getting bigger but not as big as the sex links. Then we have some barred cochins that are even smaller than the Wyondottes and last of the 21 are some little silkies. They were all bought at the same time but now they are all different sizes. To boot we are getting two new silkies today. Also the sex links especially are trying to fly and really eyeballing the edge of the tank wanting to get out. I know it is just a matter of time and we have dogs in the house that would love to have them for lunch if they they did. It is to cold outside I think to put them in the coop as they only have feathers on their wings and getting pin feathers on there chests. It drops below 30 degrees at night easily and day time temps right now are between 40-60 degrees.

Here are my Q.'s

1. Should I just seperate out the larger sex links from the others to make more room or make more room for everyone.

2. If I so seperate them up will they fight later when put back together?

3. Most importantly What have you used in this situation? To big for brooder to small for coop.

Bigger Brooder!
lau.gif

I clip wings as young as needed (yes, even as young as 2 to 3 weeks) to discourage flying, and getting into the habit of it. All the Primary Feathers snipped down to the secondaries. Also a piece of hardware cloth across the top of the tank should discourage jumping out. As for my dogs I let them sniff a chick's rear end right up front and then let them know sternly that the birds are MINE and don't even let them look at the biddies for more than a second. 1 It's called 'eyes for chickens' and they are not allowed to develop them, because way back in their instinct a chicken means a good meal - especially when they run.

I also have several RIRs that are outgrowing all the others I bought at the same time, so I have segregated them into a cage I normally use for my adult australorp's night roost. They spend some time each day with the others but it's natural that the bigger girls pick on the smaller as they establish pecking order. I watch out for bullying though and if necessary will keep them totally sep until they all catch up in size. The best thing is to prepare for this when choosing breeds. All mine will end up pretty much the same size. You may end up with more than one flock if your girls are very different.

Back
Top Bottom