To bring inside or not??

The_Flock

Songster
Aug 24, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Hi peeps. I have a 6.5 month old pullet who's laying often, eating and drinking well. She is sneezing though. I have a treatment plan but what I'm not sure about is do I bring my hen inside my house when the outside temps are much much colder? She's a cochin. My garage is not a restful place and all the other spots where she can go are with my other chickens. There are a couple of dog crates in the coop that I could put her in. The temps outside are about -3°C and inside my house is 21°C. I'm worried that bringing her in to my house might affect her in a not so great way.
I feel her issue may be dust related because there's sand in my coop and when I put water on it it just drains to the bottom and the top of the sand is dry again. But she's been fine until now (it's also her first winter and she's never been inside for this long before). So I want to take care of this.
Thank you for any help you can offer. I'm hugely appreciative. :):love

What is your treatment plan? Maybe you could just bring her in at night.

I'm going to give her honey, Thieves oil and oregano oil. Because it might not be an illness but instead a sensitivity I'd rather boost her immune and see how it goes. If she is sensitive to the dust then I'm going to have to really think about where she goes. She might become a house pet. :idunno

How often is she sneezing? Does she do it every few minutes throughout the whole day? If she sneezes several times in a row, and then stops for a long time, it is probably dust. During feeding they sometimes will sneeze. I would not bring her inside at those temperatures.

How often is she sneezing? Does she do it every few minutes throughout the whole day? If she sneezes several times in a row, and then stops for a long time, it is probably dust. During feeding they sometimes will sneeze. I would not bring her inside at those temperatures.

Thank you so much for your help. I agree with you about bringing her in.
She sneezes quite a few times, stretches out her neck, pants a bit and then is fine. She seems to do it when they are picking through the bottom bits in the straw. There is sand dust under the straw. Her breathing sounded very good late this morning. I just got back from getting the ingredients for the mixture (a few hrs after seeing her last) and am going to see how she is now before I give it to her.

I gave her 2 treatments of the Thieves, oregano oil and honey so far and she seems like she's doing well. Man...does it ever take a long time to give it to her though, sheesh. Lol. The amount given is too much for one sitting so I broke it up into 2 and she's much happier.
Her breathing last night did sound a bit gurgly at times before the first treatment but this morning it sounded much better. She LOVES to hear me call her a good girl when she takes the mixture.
I'm so happy that this is seeming to work. :love

Back
Top Bottom