To build, or to buy....that is the question..

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions. This is pretty much what I wanted to hear to help motivate me to build one. Like I said in the original post, if buying a complete kit, with free shipping, is only $100 more, something has to give, and obviously quality is it..

My original plan was just to essentially just build an 4x8 box with slanted roof, about 2-3 feet off the ground, put a door on each side, and a nesting box either off the back or inside with a door on that too.. Then, I wrote the first post, and read a comment or 2 before I called it a night. Of course, I laid away all night thinking about designs and whatnot.. And I think, to save a couple bucks, depending on availability at my local Lowes/Home Depot for roofing (I like the idea of the clear plastic roof for light during the day http://tinyurl.com/6xpmhcz), just changing it to a 3x7 (ish) box with a slanted roof will save me on a bit of plywood..and make the run the same design as that link shows.. I don't think it will really be too difficult to make, again, it was just the motivation was lacking and being able to "take the easy way out"..

And I looked at the sheds, but they seem to be a bunch more money..But, already built. I will check them out again tonight when I am over there and see what we think..

Thanks again for the posts.. I appreciate it..

I would suggest to build. The designs I have seen sofar don't seem to have everything for example I have in my coop. went it build you can make it exactly how you want it for your situation. Also if you apply yourself it is fairly cost effective :). but mostly you can get exactly what you want....

Here is a quick little question...that would cut some costs..

On my original pricing that I was figuring out, that was all for pressure treated wood. Is that what I want to use? I have a feeling the answer should be no, as the chemicals might hurt the girls if they start pecking at the walls.. If I just use a good paint on the outside, that should do the trick..

Just pressure treated where the wood touches the ground.

Yes, this. That is what we did. Also if you have access to a classified, you can find materials from there, used lumber mills? We did a lot of re purposing here. The last coop we did that was done inside a building, was completely done with materials we had laying about. cost us nothing but blood, sweat and tears lol

Forgot! a trick i do, is buying antique windows, and hardware clothing the backs, often i get windows for under 20$ this way.

Last edited:
Thanks! They were constantly stealing tools off my belt and leaning on the wood studs. For sure a challenge to keep them at bay during the build. Here they are with their final inspection.

thumbsup.gif

LOL quite the characters! our horses are awful for building around, they take your tools chew the ladder etc...

Here is a quick little question...that would cut some costs..

On my original pricing that I was figuring out, that was all for pressure treated wood. Is that what I want to use? I have a feeling the answer should be no, as the chemicals might hurt the girls if they start pecking at the walls.. If I just use a good paint on the outside, that should do the trick..

You might want to check Craigslist for lumber, believe it or not. We lucked out and found a guy with a sawmill needing to move some of his stock and we got a huge amount for a song. All our windows were recycled from a friend who does remodeling. We told him we wanted windows and he saved them from a job he had. Tin for roof recycled from a friend who's a roofer, it had a few cosmetic "dings" so he couldn't use it for a roofing job.

Amazing how much all that helped with the expense of the coop!

You might want to check Craigslist for lumber, believe it or not. We lucked out and found a guy with a sawmill needing to move some of his stock and we got a huge amount for a song. All our windows were recycled from a friend who does remodeling. We told him we wanted windows and he saved them from a job he had. Tin for roof recycled from a friend who's a roofer, it had a few cosmetic "dings" so he couldn't use it for a roofing job.

Amazing how much all that helped with the expense of the coop!
Thanks for that suggestion.. I will start the search tonight..

Back
Top Bottom