to buy or not to buy?

spamee34

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
East Texas
I was at my local feed store today and noticed some strange sounding ducks! Well then I realized how big their feet were compared to their bodies and their strange peep-honk, so I was wondering any suggestions on how to buy a pair is the bigger one's male's and the smaller one's females or is their any way to tell the difference? These are about four weeks old and they do not have the black knobs on their beeks they are still yellow looking seems they are gonna be plain white no other color on them and seems as if they have no butt's just leggs and middle body? Please give me some help here how do I try to get a pair?

Last edited:
No I live in a small town and that's not something they would know how to do . I know the owner and she just orders from the hatchery and sells what they send her. She orders from Ideal cause they are here in tx.

Since these are a plain yellow goose you are at the mercy of whatever gender they are when you buy them. If it's that critical that you have a pair, buy 4, wait till you see what you have and sell the other two. Hopefully out of 4 you would get a male/female pair.

Wish there was a better answer, but there isn't.

PS Knobs develop as the goose matures and isn't present on a gosling.

Sebastopols start laying eggs as early as 9 months. The Sebastopol breed is not mean. They can get possesive of their females and become a little orinary during the mating season. Otherwise they become real pets. Dorothy asebastopolsselect.com

Ok I have put alot of thot into the idea of wanting some geese! I have found out I need water to breed and we don't have a pond we just use small swimming pools for our ducks. I also am freaking out about the idea that they can get mean, and I don't want that. I think that if I got them I would want them to free range and My fence around my land isn't finished yet and as slow as my hubby is moving it's not gonna be done anytime soon. I also have decided if I was to get them I would want the pilgrim geese and that's not in my reach yet and if I am gonna order geese I want to make sure I am really ready for more than one or two . I also am not sure of how to tell if I had male and female ----which would also be better to order them to know what they are by having the hatchery sex them. I am just at a loss and all the red flags are coming up and I just think I had better wait and make this decision later like next spring maybe.

Back
Top Bottom