1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

To cage or free range

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by jjpeacock, Nov 6, 2014.

1. jjpeacock

jjpeacock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. jjpeacock

Nov 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Nice yard! Nice flowers. If you free range peafowl you might want to take some pictures of your flowers before the peas eat them and then dig them up. [​IMG]

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Very pretty! I love all of the rocks! The peafowl might bother your plants, but it depends on how many plants there are to keep them occupied. When I free-ranged there were so many plants that they could never focus on just one to destroy.

Penning them is a good idea, and you seem very into landscaping so you can incorporate the style of your landscape into an aviary. Aviaries don't have to be bare. Evergreen trees work well in an aviary. A big rock for the peafowl to perch on would be pretty looking, stumps, etc. http://bamboopeacock.com/Aviaries.html

[​IMG]

If you get an adult pair of peafowl, you can raise up peachicks from them and then free-range the peachicks. That way you will always have some in an aviary just incase, but you can also have some free-ranging.

1 person likes this.
  5. jjpeacock

Nov 6, 2014
    Wow. This has been fun. My aviary is finally finished. It has a covered hexagon. And open fly area with rocks and several perches. Plus a small tub with water for them to play in. It will eventually be part of my garden area with plants all around it. Can you identify the type of birds I have by the pictures? All I know is that the mother of these two was bred to a green peacock. [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

6. jjpeacock

Nov 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

7. jjpeacock

Nov 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. jjpeacock

Nov 6, 2014
    [​IMG]

9. jjpeacock

Nov 6, 2014
    Hard to photo. But the whole thing is about 12 wide by 30 long and 12 high in the hexagon and 16 high in the open area as the ground drops off.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Looks nice. [​IMG] how high is your roost under the cover? how far are those bolders from the roost?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by