To clip or not to clip? That is the question!

Mcap

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2020
Hi all, it is coming time to let my lovely rescue peahen out to roam free range. I am very nervous that she might just fly away.

I am new to this and have read that I should keep her in her enclosure for up to 6 weeks to get her settled. She has been with me for almost 4weeks now. She is laying eggs, but not sitting on them(non fertile as she is on her own). I have been giving her plenty of nice things to eat to make her like living here.

I was given advice to clip her flight feathers before letting her out, just for this first season with me. I am uncertain about doing this as I know she needs to be able to escape predators and feel cruel cutting them. She will still sleep in at night. I am worried that she will just fly away when I leave her out for the first time.

Or what is the best way to letting her free range at first?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Martina😊🦚

I think in most people’s opinions it is to not clip their wings. With that being said it can jump a 6-8 ft fence even with clipped wings so if you don’t have an enclosed property she can get out anyway.
clipping the wings, when done right, is temporary and those feathers will grow back in 4-5 months if I remember right.
From what I’ve read they tend to stay around as long as there is enough food. So make sure to put food out first thing in the morning and before it gets too dark and she roosts.
good luck 🍀 🦚

I have never seen a good reason to clip flight feathers, only bad ones. Make sure that you feed her inside her pen only so that she will come back in at dusk. Do not push her so she does not flush, let her walk out of the pen on her own. You may herd her back in but always go slow.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your advice. It is pretty much what I was thinking. I don't like the idea of clipping the flight feathers even if they do grow back. It seems unfair on her. And if its not a necessary thing then I won't do it. I have 1.5m fence so if she can jump 6-8ft regardless then there is no point either. I do have plenty of room for her to roam so hopefully she won't go far.
Feeding her solely in the pen is a great idea, I might have fed her some outside if you hadn't said so thank you @KsKingBee!

What do I do if she does fly away? Apart from reporting it locally.

She will only 'fly away' if she gets spooked, it is more likely if she leaves she will just walk away. Supervise short outings for a few days and see how she explores your property. Open the door and let her walk out if she wants to and just hang out with her.

Hi all, it is coming time to let my lovely rescue peahen out to roam free range. I am very nervous that she might just fly away.

I am new to this and have read that I should keep her in her enclosure for up to 6 weeks to get her settled. She has been with me for almost 4weeks now. She is laying eggs, but not sitting on them(non fertile as she is on her own). I have been giving her plenty of nice things to eat to make her like living here.

I was given advice to clip her flight feathers before letting her out, just for this first season with me. I am uncertain about doing this as I know she needs to be able to escape predators and feel cruel cutting them. She will still sleep in at night. I am worried that she will just fly away when I leave her out for the first time.

Or what is the best way to letting her free range at first?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Martina😊🦚
I clipped my peacocks wings it did nothing but ruined his look he would still fly off the fence to join the neighbours chickens and from there he got Newcastle.

Wow really. I have decided I won't clip her wings. It sounds like it won't stop her leaving if she really wants to. So I will get a tag for her that has my number on it and hopefully she likes living with me enough to stay. I will stay with her for the first few days when she is out. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom