To clip or not to clip???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cryptkeeper, Apr 2, 2012.

Would you clip neighbors roo's wing?

Poll closed Apr 4, 2012.
  1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cryptkeeper

Cryptkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I have come to the conclusion that my neighbors roo Don Juan has scaly leg mites. He flies over our fence every morning to tend to my girls. I told the neighbor about it and she said there as nothing she could do about it(he is 100% free range no coop at all). Before i figured out he had the SLM i didn't mind that he came over everyday(been going on about a week now). I do not want an infestation on my girls, so i am asking for a popular opinion of would yall clip his wings or no?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Just clip one wing. Don't mention it to the neighbor.

3. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas

I agree. If she won't keep him at bay them I would clip one wing. This will keep him from flying for a while. It will grow back of course but maybe by then he will be out of the habbit of tending to your hens. Worth a shot. All else fails you could ask the neighbor if they mind if you clip the wing. What harm can asking them do?

4. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    IMO......wouldn't you rather have a clear conscious. rather than messing with someone else's property have you tried animal control? From what I understand/think this would fall under animal control. Like when someone's dog is always loose/ in your yard. or killing your chickens.

Maybe find out what your rights are from animal control. then contact your neighbor with your rights and let them know you will be exercising those rights the next time their rooster is on your property. whether that is live trapped or killed the next time he is on your land.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Why not tell your neighbor about the scaly leg mites and volunteer to treat the rooster for her? You could do it in a seperate location away from your hens. Then ask her if you could trim the roosters wing feathers.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Your neighbor won't even notice if you clip his wing. Even if she somehow did, you've done no harm whatsoever and she'd have to be crazy to get upset. If you feel like going above and beyond as a good neighbor, you can bring up his infestation problem, and offer to treat him for her.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by