To clip... or not to clip

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ekofke201, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    I recently inherited two young mallards...

If I don't clip their wings will they fly away never to return? I have read that some people's Muscovies will fly a lap around the house but aways stay close. Is that specific to certain breeds?

Thoughts?

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    The first duck I owned was a mallard, he flew away and never came back. His wings were not clipped.

3. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    I think wing clipping depends on the individual situation. How's the home life? Free ranged? A run? Etc.

For myself, I clip my three mallards because I take them places like the beach and the park. It's safer for them in case a kid or dog spooks them and they fly off in different directions. It's easier to swoop up three ducks than run after three frantically.

Some people who free range don't clip their wings in case of a predator attack.

I know mine wouldn't intentionally fly off, but I have seen them attempt to fly in order to chase a butterfly. Who knows what kind if trouble they could get in to. They are a year old and know that I'm home and food bringer.

I have heard testimonies of domestic mallards flying off when a wild flock flew over. One of my girls was infatuated with a wild drake a few months ago. I know he wanted her to go with him.

Sorry it's not a yes or no answer, but I hope a little insight was helpful.

1 person likes this.
  4. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    Hmmm. Sounds like clipping for safety!

Thanks! I am certainly open to more conversation....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by