To Cull or Not to Cull?

chilisweet

Songster
11 Years
Jun 17, 2008
Vancouver, WA
Orpy our BO approx 1 year old is an internal layer, I suspect. She had a prolapsed vent at about 6 months of age, we got that taken care of, so we thought. She had been laying pretty consistently for quite a while, but recently, she has been laying soft shelled eggs, and no hard ones. Her bottom has been swelling up, no feathers, and red.

The other day she layed another soft shelled egg and afterwards she was walking funny, like she was in pain or uncomfortable. Other than that, she is eating well, seems happy.

So should I let nature takes its course, or put her down? Neither my dh or I is comfortable with culling her, but will find a way if it looks like that may be the best thing.

what are your thoughts? will she suffer if we let her die on her own?

thanks,

~Caran

You need to find out if she is internally laying or not. If she is, and she is going to die, then you need to put her down. If you're not comfortable culling, take her to a vet and have her put to sleep. Or the human society -- your local animal control should offer euthanasia for free.

we found a vet close by who treats chickens. We ended up putting her down. She was eggbound and an internal layer. The doctor said she would have died on her own soon. So I'm glad we did it, but it was almost $100!! Money we don't have.

Oh well.

RIP Ms. Orpy!

~Caran

So sorry to hear of your loss...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom