To cull or not to cull?

Twitchy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 11, 2008
I have a barred rock that's about 2.5 months old. Her top beak curves downward and causes her lower beak to be crooked (though not nearly as bad as some of the pictures as I've seen on here.) I trimmed the crooked part a couple weeks ago and she was able to eat better. Now I notice that she has a lump on the side and inside of the beak. Could this be a tumor? Could it be some kind of infection? I'm thinking that I may have to cull her, but so far she's still eating, and she seems to have a fair amount of energy in her. She'll gladly peck at grass clippings even if it's difficult to get them down. If I were to cull, I'd hope to eat her as well - at least it wouldn't be a total waste in my mind, but she's only about cornish game hen size right now. Might it be ok to grow her out a bit first? I don't think she's suffering much at this point, but I worry it might get worse. Attached are some pictures.

br1.jpg

br2.jpg

br3.jpg

br4.jpg

Hello, sorry that you're having troubles. You seem willing to work with this girl to get her to eat.

From my readings on this forum, Barred Rocks are favorites of a lot of people so there's a bunch of folk rooting for your pullet. Barred Rocks have a lot of personality and are pretty good laying hens. She may be worth the trouble to keep her for eggs than to make a meal out of her.

It's possible that her beak may adjust to where she's able to eat. You may have to provide her with a deeper feed bowl so she can get in there and scoop up some stuff but if she's eating and seems perky she should be okay.

As regards to the lump; I don't know. It could be fairly mild, for example do you have mosquitoes where you live? Perhaps its a bite from them. She could have hurt herself while free ranging or just got something stuck in there. It may go down. Or it may be something really bad.

My philosophy is that as long as they're eating and seem happy, I let Nature do it's work and heal them. If you're willing to trim her beak and work with her, she may become your best friend. I speak as someone with a special needs chicken at home who is now an adult but I spent a lot of time and effort on her and many hours wondering if I should cull her or whether she'd be alive in the morning.

Mary

Don't breed it, but if she is laying eggs, and not suffereing, then maybe if you want to put the effort into the care.... BUT NEVER BREED IT. no sense muffin up the gene pool, its screwed up enough with "Good Intentioned" pet owners. If in doubt Cull.

Jack

Is that the lump that I see in the last picture? That is huge compared to the area inside her beak. I think you need to have a closer look at it, and try to determine if it is impeding her ability to feed herself sufficiently. Is there any way you can take a picture to an avian vet, or send one to an online vet? It would be good to just have a quick professional opinion. If that really is the growth I see, she may not be able to live with that much longer, before it decreases her ability to breathe.

Well after reading around, I've decided to treat it as if it's a bacterial infection for the time being. I've isolated her and put duramycin in the water. She's certainly feisty still. Her new digs are a box covered with chicken wire, and she flew right out, knocking the cover off to the side. I've tied it down, so now we'll see what happens.

I know NOTHING about this condition, but could it be canker? (not cancer...I didn't do a typo)

I know chickens get it, as do pigeons. Maybe Google it and see if it matches her condition. I have a barred rock and I love her. Good luck with her, I hope she recovers.

Just thought I'd post an update in case anyone looks here in the future. It seems to have been a bacterial infection. A week on duramycin and she's back on her feet.

Back
Top Bottom