To feed Grit or Not???

I just started letting my 2 oldest chicks about 6 weeks old outside in the run. Right now they are in an enclosed 8 ft by 8 ft hard packed dirt run while we finish the free range fencing, and they are still on Chick Start. Do I need to add Chick Grit or any type of Grit since they are outside for must of the day.

Thanks
I have oyster shell in the coop since they are out a couple of hours a day and rarely touch it. I think that the chickens know best so I assume they don't need it.

I was told by the chicken lady at our feed store, that even if the ground is hard, they will scratch and find things we can't see! If all they eat is chick start, I believe no grit is necessary, but mine are 1 month old, and we do give them fine grit along with the chick start. That way we can introduce different treats to see if they like them. Believe it or not, they love the grit. Now, I have cooked a few things in my life that have turned out to be as hard as rock with out even trying and no one would eat it (can't blame them), so I guess ya gotta be a chicken to love the stuff!:D

Wow! I'm going right now to give my girls some raisins!! I gave them some grapes this morning, not that interested! Raisins it is then...!

It was sweetcorn last night, they all went bonkers! Was funny :) Bless them, they are such funny creatures!

Donna (from England.) and :
"Bluebelle" (Blue Rhode)
"Francesca" (Amber Star)
"Pink" (Heritage Skyline)
"Dotty" (Traditional british Speckled Hen)
"Wendy" (hard feathered Silkie Bantam - go figure..!!)
"Nugget" " " " "

Back
Top Bottom