To Free Range, or Not to Free Range...

Brian

Songster
12 Years
Sep 30, 2007
Jacksonville, ORegon
OK, I'm suitably impressed with everyone's horror stories of predation. However, on the flip side, I realize the chickens would be happiest if they could cruise the 2.5 acres here, flipping over leaves, etc. And...the eggs will be healthier too. So, now I can't decide which way to go: penned hens, vs. free-range. There are hawks in the area.
Comments? Advice?
Brian

I feed treats to my free-range chickens and always give a special "call" to them. I use that call very judiciously, so that now, whenever I use it they are trained to always run over to me... into the coop... or wherever I want them to go. And I always reward them.

Chickens LIKE habits and that helps to train them. I keep mine locked up for at least 3 weeks when they're new to my place, and I feed them every morning and evening in their coop, even when they eventually free-range, and so they like to return home to roost.

You could start free-ranging them by letting them out only for an hour or two in the afternoon and then they don't have time to range far and will easily go back into the coop at sundown.

Just keep experimenting. If mine start roosting or laying eggs anywhere else, I coop them back up for 2-3 days and it re-trains them to their coop. I find they prefer to lay eggs in the coop and if they start laying elsewhere there's usually a reason that's fixable and they start laying inside again.

Whew! that was a long-ewinded answer....! sorry!

Have a pen that they can go to bed in at night. If you keep them in there for awhile they will learn that is their bed and feed them in there for awhile. Around your yard have lots of things that they can hide under in case the hawks start flying around. Sometimes my husband goes out there and makes hawk noise and the chickens all run and hide. For the most part, they stay under stuff a lot, but they run around my one acre a lot too. Mine just put them selves away just before dark and I go shut the door. But then sometimes they lay their eggs where ever and I don't know what bush or obstacle to look under to find them. hee hee

I let my chickies have "supervised" free-range time. They are typically kept penned due to the resident bobcat. I know, I could trap it or whatever, but I prefer not to go that route (if he starts breaking into their pen, I'll rethink this decision, but for now all is well). So, what I do is, a few times a week, let them out when I get home or on the weekend for a couple of hours. I stay out with them either doing yard work or reading a book or just enjoying watching them. This has seems to work for us - they seem happy, the eggs are yummy, I get some time to unwind, and no more missing chickies! Good luck with your decision.
Liz

Mine are free range. Yes, there is a definite risk with the boogie men swooping in. Mine go in at night and lay eggs in the house too. But it is a personal decision, IMO. You take a risk but my kids are so much happier doing their business freely than being penned. I've had 1 aerial attack in 1 year. I've had 3 dog attacks in that time frame, while they were still penned. They at least have the ability to seek cover when free ranging. That's why I long for spring to be sprung. I'm ready for the leaves to come out as a protection layer for my kids.

I can only free range when I can be out there to supervise.
If the neighbour's dog doesn't go over the fence, I can count on hawks or cats to help them exercise.
roll.png

I got tired of feeding all the foxes/dogs/coons/vultures/hawks/owls/coyotes/etc. I switched to a mobil coop (tractor) and haven't had any problems since.

I only let mine out when I'm there to watch. But right now, because I got a new hen to get initiated into the flock, they are all penned in together until nicer weather. We have a hawk in the neighborhood, but my girls have access to their run or can take cover under the rhoddies or other shrubs.

So far, I haven't seen any close encounters of the hawk kind.
fl.gif

Just try it on a weekend when you can be there, and towards the evening when they can be herded back into the safety of their coop.

Back
Top Bottom