To Fridge or not to fridge ? That is my question !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beryl, May 16, 2010.

1. Beryl

Beryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Ok so does EVERYONE keep their eggs in the fridge ?
    I would love to know the advantages and disadvantages.
    The eggs my hens produce are eaten within a week.

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Well, I think it's different for everyone. I sell my eggs and I have a roo, so I tend to throw my eggs in the fridge once I get them from the coop. I really don't want to hear someone complaining about finding an embryo! lol It's bad enough they freak out over a blood/meat spot, thinking that's an embryo! [​IMG] Myself, personally, if I wasn't so into the habit of putting them in the fridge, don't see any reason not to leave them on the counter for a couple of days. You need pretty warm temps and high humidity to start anything in them. We're not quite there weatherwise yet, in CNY, soo...Also, if you don't wash your eggs, they take a long time to spoil due to the natural bloom on the eggs. Gotta love eggs, the perfect food!!

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Personally, I like to leave them out on the countertop, as long as my kitchen isn't super-hot, and as long as the eggs aren't getting direct sunlight. Our eggs aren't fertile and we never wash them ahead of time. But most of the people I give them to get a little freaked if the eggs have never been refrigerated. They prefer them refrigerated, because that's what they've always experienced with store eggs and they think a warm egg is unsafe to eat. So, I refrigerate the ones I'm going to pass along, and leave out the ones we're going to eat. We will eat refrigerated ones, too, but we prefer them unrefrigerated.

I've eaten unrefrigerated eggs up to a month after they've been laid. Still fresh & good.

4. Yogaliciouschick

Yogaliciouschick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2009
    I tend to get lazy sometimes, and I will leave my eggs in the coop for 3-4 days. After that I throw them in the fridge. I didn't wash eggs until I started selling them and people like, well poop free eggs. If the egg is clean I don't wash it since its overkill. But now I have 3 broodys so I have been trying to break them and taking the eggs out every day. But its what ever you like.

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I leave them in a big pretty ceramic bowl on the counter top UNLESS they are dirty (muddy from rain) or poopy, then they get washed in hot soapy water and put in a carton in the fridge.

I don't wash eggs that we eat here at this house, **BUT** I give a ton of eggs away to my family and friends and I wash and scrub every single one of them that I give. I don't want anyone that doesn't "know" saying that the eggs I gave them were unclean and that it made them sick or something.

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Eggs on counter top in egg carton. Fresh eggs will last a while on counter top as long as house temp is below 80. They are better for cooking too when not kept in the frig.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

I do, habits are hard to break.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Fridge all the way here...

9. ChickenRazz

ChickenRazz Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Vidor Texas
    Either way...Counter and the fridge for us...I love the colored eggs in a basket on the counter. [​IMG]

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    There's not really a down side to putting them in the fridge. Convenience and the space they take up is pretty much it. They just don't have to be refrigerated if your house is air conditioned in the summer and you use them soon enough. They will last longer in the fridge than on the counter. Every day on the counter is equal to a week in the fridge but they'll still last weeks. If you want to hard boil them then leaving them on the counter to age faster will make it easier to peel them. I just steam my eggs instead so I can perfectly peel even eggs laid that day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by