to frig or not to frig

bow-chicka-bow-bow

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Fuquay-Varina, NC
So, out of my 8 laides, 1 has started laying eggs.
wee.gif
She is now laying 1 a day. I had asked earlier about how long you can keep your eggs at room temp, and I believe the general concensus was a couple weeks. Some mentioned refrigerated for several weeks also. So, when you gather your eggs, do you keep them on the counter at room temp or do you go ahead and put them in the frig? I've got a bowl with some Easter basket grass in it and I just put the egg in the bowl when I come in with it. They are quite cute in their bowl.
big_smile.png
So, what is the prefered way to store them, on the counter at room temp or in the frig?

I sale my eggs, so they go into the refrigerator immediately. If they are just for you, I would stick them in a bowl like you are doing. I blew out a bowl full of my prettiest eggs, so I still get to have a cute bowl of "eggs".
smile.png

Thought I would post the pics I just took of our little "harvest". I think they look quite cute in their special bowl. Looks are deceiving, because the eggs are still on the small size, but I'm sure will get larger with time.

85533_first_eggs_1.jpg

85533_first_eggs.jpg

I keep them on the counter for a few weeks looking pretty like what you have there. This is good ONLY if they are not washed. Once washed, into the fridge they go. That said, I did a little experiment once and eggs that were unwashed in the refrigerator for 8 months were still edible.

I like your user name! We used to live near Fuquay, in Williow Springs.
welcome-byc.gif

Eggs are good thru 6 months if never put in frig. But in the colder months i put them in.

Quote:
Very interesting reading all the advice about the eggs and then I come to your post and see your profile pic.... is that a SNAKE in your nest box eating eggs!?!?!?!! ACK!!

Quote:
Very interesting reading all the advice about the eggs and then I come to your post and see your profile pic.... is that a SNAKE in your nest box eating eggs!?!?!?!! ACK!!

Lol no, I keep snakes as well. I don't think it would be my esteemed avatar if it did any damage to my little eggies.

The coating on the eggs, bloom, is a natural bacteria shield. Grandma never washed them and kept them on the counter as long as I can remember.
It will wash off with water and it is best to refrigerate if you need to "clean " the eggs.
As far as commercial egg wash products, My chickens have never put anything on an egg that didn't come off with plain water.

Back
Top Bottom