To get new pullets adjusted to coop how long should i wait before letting them out... I thought i've

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by whatchickens?, May 28, 2012.

1. whatchickens?

whatchickens? In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2008
    I brought home two new pullets from our show last weekend... I've kept them confined to their new coop. How long shold i wait until i let them out to frre range... I thought i've read to wait a week befire doing so... Can any one confirm typical wait period?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A week is generally enough time for them to feel at home; however, if they are a flighty breed I would give them more time to adapt to their new home.

3. whatchickens?

whatchickens? In the Brooder

Sep 1, 2008
    Okay... Thank you... I thought that was the general rule. The white face black spanish are a flighty breed as i've read... Patiently waitng to watch these fine birds free range!

4. bufforphington

bufforphington In the Brooder

May 29, 2012
    sorry this probably doesn't help and it most likely will sound dumb. what's a pullet?????

5. DanEP

DanEP Songster

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    A pullet is a hen under 1 year old.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    You might want to take this time to train your chickens to come for treats - put a little scratch in a can and shake it, then give them a little. This will really help you if you need to call them in while they are out free.

7. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Songster

Just a quick question???
    Does let out free rang mean combine with your existing flock? .... Can't stress enough the 4 week quarantine period!

Good luck with the new birds.

8. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Free Ranging? Means it is a method of farming where the animals are allowed to roam freely instead of being contained in any manner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: