To give back or not to give back...

Ashmeade

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Well we got a white chinese goose from someone from Craigslist and I am just not sure if we just need to give him more time or just give him back. The previous owners are willing to take him back if needed but they have to pen him more than apparantly I do.

He seems to have settled in relatively ok but continues to be agressive to my goats, chickens, pig, cats and my dogs. He is the agresser on all of the attacks. The other animals do their best to keep out of his way.

He is VERY nice to people__though is scared of me, mostly I think because I am the one to break up his fights. Between that and all the recent posts about agressive ganders, I am having second thoughts a bit...

I am inclined to just give him back and do goslings next year as I had planned and raise them with my other animals so they get along better__also to just get females so hopefully less agression.

But I just feel bad to just give up on him. Any thoughts? I got him about a week ago...

If it were me, i would give him back. Who needs to be breaking up animal attacks all day? Your other pets are probably getting stressed out, and stress can lead to all kinds of ailments.

Don't feel bad about giving up on him. The previous owners gave him away for a reason.

I would give it more time. Maybe you can start by making him a pen in the middle of all your other animals. Maybe he is being aggressive to them because he's scared of them?

If you get goslings it wont be any different next year...
they can turn mean...they mostly all do..come breeding time.
if hes good with you..i'd keep him. i think...
hide.gif

I dont know...i'm having problems with my gander also..
rant.gif
and i raised him from a day old...

Quote:
Do they get agressive typically even with just females and no males? My Canada goose (think she was female) was somewhat agressive with the other animals but did not go out of her way to attack them and was not even CLOSE to how agressive he is. He will stalk them and grab on with a "pinching death grip" until the poor animal breaks free or I grab him and pull him off. And on top of this, due to me intervening and scaring him, he avoids me like the plague and runs any time I even speak to him.
sad.png

I am thinking he needs to go back to his prev owner but now I am a bit tentative to get geese next year if they are going to be nasty.

Do you think females would be less agressive and also if they were raised with the other animals and manners installed (as much as one can with a goose) that might make a difference?

Last edited:
My female is still very sweet...
So maybe just females would work..
the goose experts will chime in and help you decide.
hugs.gif

I'm no expert, but the 4 that I have started off so sweet and loving and now they are mean and nasty. I like to compare them to rebellious teenagers, testing me to see how much bullying they can get away with. I'm hoping that once they hit adulthood, they will grow out of it with the exception of breeding time. I have to instruct anyone who comes to my house how to safely get from their car to the front door without being attacked.

I must be really lucky so far, because both my male and female are really nice. They don't want me to hold them or anything but they love to lay down next to me and nibble on my hair or clothing. I've finally stopped them from nibbling on my shoelaces ... sorta... now they come up to my front door and take off with my shoes... Maybe it's because they were raised with the ducks.

My male does the pinching deathgrip to his runner duck girlfriend. If she starts doing the mating bob, he grabs her by the back of the neck and drags her into the pool. She stays with him all day, following him everywhere oddly enough.

If it's causing you a lot of grief then, yes, you should take him back.

As far as goslings. I don't know what to say. Lately I've been reading here a lot of bad things about geese. I only have two and they aren't even a year yet, so I don't know how your gosling experience would be... seems like a "your mileage may very," sort of thing.

Mine are brown chinese and really mean and nasty. They bite everyone and everything. they started off nice too, I have had them from day olds. I am hopefully trading them for a trio or blue muscovys.

Back
Top Bottom