To Give Or Not To Give

Pick a pipped one up and when it chirps gauge her reaction, she should talk back to it. When she does know that you should have nothing to worry about.
I wouldn't base a decision on expecting a hen to chirp back to a pipped egg you take. Rarely do my Hens talk to their eggs when I mess with them. They just growl and screech and shift the egg back into place once I return it.

I haven't had eggs chirp much unless they were cold (by accident I found this out). However, I have had an incubator chick hatch and dry off in the incubator, then I took it outside to pop under moma hen. She had two babies already but they were only about two days old. She heard the incubator chick cheeping with cold, and started calling to it with great concern. I shoved it under her and everyone was quiet. No problems with her accepting that baby. But then, she hadn't left the nest for good with her other hatchlings yet.

Could I just try and give her a few a day or so after they hatch? They are on day 7 or 6 now. And I really dont think its a good idea to remove the bator at this point

Could I just try and give her a few a day or so after they hatch? They are on day 7 or 6 now. And I really dont think its a good idea to remove the bator at this point
Yea, and the sooner after hatch the better. I keep mine in the incubator/brooder for no more than a day (just long enough to fluff up and not be wobbly anymore - also makes sure they're more likely to survive IMO), then put them under mom. Some hens are just fine with this, some hens are not. You won't know until you try your specific hen. A lot of folks say stick them under her in the evening, when it's starting to get dark, less likely she'll reject them, but I put mine under the hen in the middle of the afternoon. Granted, this hen likes me - doesn't peck me, or growl at me, or show any issues when I collect her eggs or reach under her. So no issues with my hen, have to see with yours. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom