To grit or not to grit.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by captainmommy3, Mar 1, 2012.

1. captainmommy3

captainmommy3 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    okay my baby chicks are only 2 weeks ols right now they have been eating med. starter/grower crumbles no grit yet at all they seem fine and eat and poop often but i read somewhere that they should be given grit too which seems to conflict with what my local farm supply store tld me they said to offer a small amount of grit starting at age 8 weeks but when i had asked them if they had ANY vaccines before being shipped they didnt know at all so i am unsure if they r really informed or if they just told me something off the tops of their heads.[​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If they are only eating chick starter, they do not need grit. Once they start on scraps is when they need it. I have never offered my chickens grit, but we have lots of pebbles around naturally.

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I put chick grit in my brooder after I have had the chicks at least a week. This means the chicks are at least 1 1/2 weeks old. I then start giving them small amounts of treats the next day. I out the chick grit in a small container and leave it in the brooder 24 x 7. I don't switch to regular size grit until they are about 12 weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by