To Heat or Not to Heat-That is the Question

To Heat or Not to Heat

• To Heat!

• Not to Heat!

Results are only viewable after voting.
What are your thoughts on heating?

My method for dealing with winter is quite simple one extra feeder of whole corn. I live in Canada subject to -40º. I have 67 trips around the sun. I have raised various types of chickens and birds for decades.

TLC still has to be provided to birds that may not be adapting well to the diet. For the most part birds are vocal happy and do just fine. NO HEAT NO EXTRA LIGHT please and thank you works fine for me and my flock.

If for any reason you find it necessary to supply electricity to your coop via extension cord.

Please employ a "Ground Fault Outlet" also use a "Safety Chain" in conjunction to any heat lamp or incandescent bulb after mounting.
One coop fire is too many and these precautions could be the difference.

A simple action such as a rodent chewing on your extension cord could be the cause of a coop fire and a ground fault circuit could be the difference in witnessing your coop in tack or a pile of smoldering ash.

gf-outlet-jpg.1164047

P.S. There are now a variety of ground fault extension cords available in major retail centers that also would be a wise investment.

Just keep it well ventilated,
Good advice. The challenge comes when providing ventilation as apposed to drafts which one must avoid. That is why I think ventilation should be controlled to suit your weather on a day to day basis. Your overall climate and geography plays a major part in the design of a coop that is best for you. Also the position of you coop whether it faces north or what ever direction.
There are some days in Canada when we are experiencing blizzard conditions high winds and frigid (-40º plus wind chill) temperatures where I must confess I am forced to cut off most if not all of my ventilation.The natural drafts and leaks around the doors and windows seem to be able to keep moisture levels in check.
Those days are the exception rather than the rule.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Quick question! My mom has been getting very worried lately about our chickens as we are quickly approaching freezing temperatures. I have been telling her that chickens can withstand very cold temperatures without supplemental heating, but she still is apprehensive. Our coop is on the small side for 6 chickens (we are debating whether to build it larger) but it is working for now. We always have one big freeze every winter where it can drop down to 15-25 degrees Fahrenheit. But during the winter, nights (and occasionally days) are always at or below freezing. My mom has suggested using a convection space heater and placing it outside the coop to warm the air. I have warned her about the dangers of coop fires, but she says that this is safer than a free-hanging bulb. What are your thoughts on heating? And what should we use? Any help appreciated! Thank you!
Hi everyone! Quick question! My mom has been getting very worried lately about our chickens as we are quickly approaching freezing temperatures. I have been telling her that chickens can withstand very cold temperatures without supplemental heating, but she still is apprehensive. Our coop is on the small side for 6 chickens (we are debating whether to build it larger) but it is working for now. We always have one big freeze every winter where it can drop down to 15-25 degrees Fahrenheit. But during the winter, nights (and occasionally days) are always at or below freezing. My mom has suggested using a convection space heater and placing it outside the coop to warm the air. I have warned her about the dangers of coop fires, but she says that this is safer than a free-hanging bulb. What are your thoughts on heating? And what should we use? Any help appreciated! Thank you!

Sotty I hit the wrong key. Chickens regulate their own temps
I read an article lately in regards to the hens not laying and the need warmth and more daylight in the winter months. Also said to feed them laying mash in the winter and whole kernel corn instead of scratch because the corn has a better food value. I did install a heat lamp for the winter but it has a guard on it and it is not where the chickens can fly into it. The coop is 5 x 11 and the lamp gives just enough heat to keep it above freezing I hope. This debate has been going on forever.
Most of my hens are 9 months old and had not started laying. I Wasn'tgetting eggs at all but they are laying now. I think it's personal preference. By the way, mine isn't hanging loosely.

heat lamp for the winter
Always keep in mind MURPHY'S LAW..!
If you are running electricity to the coop via extensions cord I can not stress enough the value of a GROUND FAULT outlet or extension cord. Voltage of 120 can kill a person as well as burn down a coop. Also a safety chain device on your heat lamp regardless of where or how it is mounted on the guarded bulb is a simple to install. Chickens when establishing a pecking order are UNPREDICTABLE. A guarded HEAT LAMP is a poor defense on the ground with a flock of scratching chickens in dry litter.

BE SAFE NOT SORRY

Last edited:
Always keep in mind MURPHY'S LAW..!
If you are running electricity to the coop via extensions cord I can not stress enough the value of a GROUND FAULT outlet or extension cord. Voltage of 120 can kill a person as well as burn down a coop. Also a safety chain device on your heat lamp regardless of where or how it is mounted on the guarded bulb is a simple to install. Chickens when establishing a pecking order are UNPREDICTABLE. A guarded HEAT LAMP is a poor defense on the ground with a flock of scratching chickens in dry litter.

BE SAFE NOT SORRY

We were going to build our chickens a winterized coop but since the weather is getting so cold we built a coop in our barn in 1 day. I'm feeling guilty because it doesn't have ventilation *yet.* There's a heat lamp in there which we will replace with something better today. We may not even need it :oops:

I keep telling everyone that it's more about ventilation and being dry. We mainly moved them in there because 1. They were 4 silkies and a d'Uccle hen. Not very cold hardy as far as chickens go. 2. We don't have a heated waterer yet and are only out with our chickens on the weekends, so can't have the water freeze. Daddy may have gotten a heated waterer which we'll set up tonight.

Last edited:
We were going to build our chickens a winterized coop but since the weather is getting so cold we built a coop in our barn in 1 day. I'm feeling guilty because it doesn't have ventilation *yet.* There's a heat lamp in there which we will replace with something better today. We may not even need it :oops:

I keep telling everyone that it's more about ventilation and being dry. We mainly moved them in there because 1. They were 4 silkies and a d'Uccle hen. Not very cold hardy as far as chickens go. 2. We don't have a heated waterer yet and are only out with our chickens on the weekends, so can't have the water freeze. Daddy may have gotten a heated waterer which we'll set up tonight.

Back
Top Bottom