To Heat Or Not To Heat, That Is The Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Adopted Chickenman, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    Now that fall has arrived, at what temperature should I start the heat lamp in the chicken coop? I know chickens are hardy and not to worry about them until the 30 degree temps set in. Also, should I use the standard red heat lamp that I used for the brooder or should I change to a white light bulb? My coop size is 4 feet x 6 feet that I purchased from Horizon. I have two set of chickens, one set is 28 weeks and the other set is 10 weeks. Total amount of chickens is 11. Current temp is 54 degrees.

2. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    I can't answer your specific question, but my coop's inside dimensions are 3.5' x6.5' and I have 3 pullets going to spend their first winter with us (they are now 15 weeks old). I'm in an area where we regularly get a couple of weeks of -40 each winter. I did not insulate the coop (it does have inside walls of plywood) and I will not heat it. I hope they make it through the winter. My own feeling is that if they get used to heat, and the power goes off (it does, regularly here) they may not be able to cope. So, fingers crossed that they are hardy enough...

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Rogers MN? Depending on the breeds you have whether it be bantams or large fowl you may not need any heat source in a coop that small, if so I'd go with a 125 watt infared heat bulb if that and only when temps are well below freezing. I keep mine on all winter because of the breeds I keep. The birds once full grown will put out alot of heat and huddle together when its really cold.

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    no need to heat, but you will need lights if they are to keep laying.

I have 4 flood lights that are on a couple hrs in the morning & then a couple in the evening. If you heat you can cause issues with moisture bbuild up inside the coop.

Just make sure the perch is flat so they birds can sit on their feet & you will be fine.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Many people do many different things. Since my chickens wear down coats year round, I worry more about it being too hot rather than too cold, and I don't worry about too hot very much. I have an 8' x 12' walk-in coop, usually keep about 8 to 10 chickens over the winter although the number can be quite a bit higher until I eat the excess. I never heat the coop. My lowest winter temperatures are usually in the single digits Fahrenheit, although it does get lower some years. Here's a shot of my flock last winter, taken when the outside temperature was 8 degrees Fahrenheit.

[​IMG]

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    You might want to check around for other threads on this top look under "heat" and "winter". The short answer is" At 30 degrees above zero, regardless of the kind and number--No. At 30 degrees below zero,--possibly but probably not. You'll need to be sure they are in a weather-proof well ventilated coop and then most breed will be fine.

7. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I think I'd try to at least put some insulation around that coop and make sure the litter is nice and deep. Three pullets aren't going to make much of their own heat. I would worry about them.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:And I was wondering Rogers, AR? [​IMG]
    If it is indeed Rogers, AR I would go by what Ridgerunner said. I don't heat my coops. I have an adult flock - 2 1/2 years old - in one coop and a juvenile flock - 16 weeks old - in the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by