To heat or not to heat

bertogomus

Chirping
Nov 13, 2021
To heat or not to heat?! I love in Oklahoma.
Yesterday it was 82! We don’t really have long lasting cold when it’s here. Do I heat with a red heat lamp or not? Stacey and Doug say heat can make weak chickens, 🤷‍♀️. I bought them from someone who did not heat.
Geez, what’s a man to do?!!

I am where winter lows are 16 degrees BELOW zero.

I do not heat and do not recommend heating unless you have periods of several days where the HIGH is still below zero.

They have feathered coats to keep them insulated and they cannot take those off.

Well ventilated and dry are the key to having no frostbite and comfortable birds.

Last edited:
To heat or not to heat?!I bought them from someone who did not heat.
Does this give you a clue?

When I was in Northwest Arkansas the coldest I saw was -8 F (-22 C). I did not heat the coop. When I was growing up in East Tennessee we had a spell where it was below 0 F (-18 C) for three days and four nights. I'm not sure how cold it actually got. Not only did Mom and Dad not heat the coop, a few chickens slept in trees. Those chickens were fine.

But I think it depends a lot on what your coop looks like. Those chickens sleeping in the trees were not out on a bare limb overlooking a bluff squawking defiantly into the teeth of a blizzard. Those trees were in a sheltered place out of the wind. A direct wind hitting the chickens is not good in the cold. Did you build your coop so it is a wind tunnel, channeling wind through it so the chickens cannot find shelter from the wind.

Chickens need it dry. Living in a climate like ypurs you should know to not go out in the cold with wet hands or a wet face. That's a good way to get frostbite. Chickens give off a lot of moisture from their breathing and the wet poop. Any thawed water in there adds to the moisture in the air. If that moisture builds up that can lead to frostbite. You need enough ventilation to allow that moist air to leave. People in climates colder than you have stopped frostbite problems by increasing ventilation. You can't get much better ventilation than by sleeping in a tree.

How do you have enough ventilation without a breeze directly hitting the chickens? There are different techniques. I built my coop so the only openings in the winter are well above their heads when they are on the roosts. Any breezes that blow through are well above them.

I don't know what the right answer is for you. It depends on what your coop looks like.

My coop has a door for days when it’s not cold.
Windows that open which I close unless it’s summer. They have a nice opening on the bottom of the wall. So no, they have no wind directly on them.
My first winter with chickens!

To heat or not to heat?! I love in Oklahoma.
Yesterday it was 82! We don’t really have long lasting cold when it’s here. Do I heat with a red heat lamp or not? Stacey and Doug say heat can make weak chickens, 🤷‍♀️. I bought them from someone who did not heat.
Never heat your coop unless it gets way below zero. I'm talking like 20° below.
Wild birds are ok without heat. Chickens are no different, as long as they have good food and full crops

My coop has a door for days when it’s not cold.
Windows that open which I close unless it’s summer. They have a nice opening on the bottom of the wall. So no, they have no wind directly on them.
My first winter with chickens!

Can you post pics of the coop please?

Ventilation is best (most functional) when up high above the sleeping birds heads.
Ventilation should not be closed up in winter. It needs to allow all that moist air from the droppings and breathing to escape the coop.

Bottom entrance is about 16x16, windows above where they roost . Granddaughter thought they needed happy painting!

Attachments

• D523C8AA-166A-45AD-BEF6-2C7FB31C0A2E.jpeg
    D523C8AA-166A-45AD-BEF6-2C7FB31C0A2E.jpeg
    634.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 44008795-4EE6-4CE5-986F-CFAE9B7C728F.jpeg
    44008795-4EE6-4CE5-986F-CFAE9B7C728F.jpeg
    555.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom