To Incubate or Not to Incubate

nolamimi504

Chirping
Nov 12, 2020
Ponchatoula, Louisiana
I need some advice. My female, Goldie has finished laying her first clutch; she has 20 in her nest, which is a little doggie bed, and she’s laid every one in there. She removed 7 of them, so she laid a total of 27 eggs. I placed my grandbabies video camera monitor in the Quack House for a few days to see if she was sitting on them at night, which turns out she would for a few hours till the males begin squawking and she gets up to see what’s going on and doesn’t return to sit on the eggs. The last 3 nights she has sat on them but at the slightest hint of daybreak she’s up and squawking to get out the house with the others. I have even tried removing the bed and bringing it outside to see if she would sit on them and nada, she’s more interested in foraging, swimming in the pool with the other ducks, or playing in their mud pit. Today, I broke down and purchased an incubator, my issue is do I just incubate the eggs since she doesn’t seem to have any interest in hatching them naturally? If so, what impact will it have on her if I remove the eggs? These may seem like crazy questions and I’m sure someone has asked them somewhere along the line in a thread but I’m wondering whether to begin setting up the incubator. She only began sitting on the eggs late at night after the male was trying to sit on them LOL.

id leave her 2 or 3 if she changes her mind, incubate the rest. if the temps are below 55 degrees fertility will die if shes off them for a long period of time. Take what you want to incubate, place them in a bowl or container at room temp inside your home until you Bring the incubator up to 99.5 for 24-48 hrs. as far is it having an impact on her, if she was broody and ready to hatch those chicks she wouldnt leave them for long.

Laying regularly does not always equal broody. Leaving eggs can encourage it, but does not guarantee it. What species is Goldie? Sometimes ducks sit only at night when they first start to go broody. 20 eggs may be to many eggs for a hen to brood. I would take at least a few to an incubator.

id leave her 2 or 3 if she changes her mind, incubate the rest. if the temps are below 55 degrees fertility will die if shes off them for a long period of time. Take what you want to incubate, place them in a bowl or container at room temp inside your home until you Bring the incubator up to 99.5 for 24-48 hrs. as far is it having an impact on her, if she was broody and ready to hatch those chicks she wouldnt leave them for long.
What I have read and experienced is that hatching eggs will stay fertile longer or just last longer in the fridge. I have had a fairly good success rate with eggs that have been in the fridge for at least a week but up to 3 weeks.

What I have read and experienced is that hatching eggs will stay fertile longer or just last longer in the fridge. I have had a fairly good success rate with eggs that have been in the fridge for at least a week but up to 3 weeks.
maybe with other breeds, im not sure, my RIR and game hens lay eggs and after 7 days the hatch rate drops. ive tested 2 week old eggs and 5 day old eggs at room temp before. unless im eating them they never get washed or hit the fridge.

True but only once the eggs have been laid. Once the egg has started developing sticking them in the fridge would be the end of the eggs.
Also most fridges run cold, the fridge should be set to the minimum cooling level so it does not go below 7 degrees C. Also humidity needs to be monitored, humidity can rise to 90% in fridges and I don't know if that is a problem but I would stick to 60-80% humidity

Back
Top Bottom