To intervene or not

Angry Cupcake

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2015
Ok, here is the deal. I received 8 shipped eggs. I placed them along with 14 of my own flocks eggs in the incubator. We are at day 21 and all but 2 of my flocks eggs have hatched. The 2 that haven't have internal pips and plenty of chirping. Out of the 8 shipped only 1 has made it to this point. Now, my dilemma is this, there is movement in the shipped egg but no internal pip or chirping. I would hate to lose this little one because I didn't help.

So, the question is do I intervene and if so how long do I wait.

Ok, here is the deal. I received 8 shipped eggs. I placed them along with 14 of my own flocks eggs in the incubator. We are at day 21 and all but 2 of my flocks eggs have hatched. The 2 that haven't have internal pips and plenty of chirping. Out of the 8 shipped only 1 has made it to this point. Now, my dilemma is this, there is movement in the shipped egg but no internal pip or chirping. I would hate to lose this little one because I didn't help.

So, the question is do I intervene and if so how long do I wait.
Are the shipped eggs the same breed as you flock? Different breeds are different in their hatch times. It may not be much of a difference, but enough to account for what you are experiencing. Even different lines could be different in hatching. My serama bantams hatch in 19 days, Japanese bantams in 20 days, and my silkies are 21 days.

My eggs are Buff Orps, the shipped eggs are Cream Legbars. I didn't think there would be a difference and development was the same until this point.

My eggs are Buff Orps, the shipped eggs are Cream Legbars. I didn't think there would be a difference and development was the same until this point.
I do not know for sure, but it could be a small difference; a matter of hours. Just a possibility as to why the shipped eggs haven't started to hatch.

If you saw movement in the shipped egg, I would give it more time. At least until tomorrow. Shipping eggs can have all sorts of effects on development so it may just need more time...

Unfortunately, when I got home from work all three had passed. :( I think I am going to give up on shipped eggs! The first 15 Legbar eggs I got were all failures and so were these 8. I always set some from my own flock to validate incubation practices. I didn't have much hope for these shipped eggs considering the poor packaging but, I tried. At least I have some new fluffies from my own flock to enjoy. The end count is 0 Legbars and 11 Orpingtons.

Unfortunately, when I got home from work all three had passed.
sad.png
I think I am going to give up on shipped eggs! The first 15 Legbar eggs I got were all failures and so were these 8. I always set some from my own flock to validate incubation practices. I didn't have much hope for these shipped eggs considering the poor packaging but, I tried. At least I have some new fluffies from my own flock to enjoy. The end count is 0 Legbars and 11 Orpingtons.
Sorry to read that the shipped eggs did not hatch. Have you ever tried shipped eggs under broody hens? I had pretty good luck doing that. I've never had much luck with incubators.

Back
Top Bottom