To Light or Not To Light ~ That is the Question!

So when my cat brings me mice/voles can/should I just toss them in the coop for the chickens?
You could indeed. Takes them a whole morning of chasing and banging it on the ground before (I assume )they ingest it. Tho I have seen voles dead but whole on the ground in the run. I will never understand why they don't hold on to stuff with their feet and tear it up with beak...SMH.

You could indeed. Takes them a whole morning of chasing and banging it on the ground before (I assume )they ingest it. Tho I have seen voles dead but whole on the ground in the run. I will never understand why they don't hold on to stuff with their feet and tear it up with beak...SMH.

Hmm... I'll give it a try. If it doesn't disappear by the time they go to roost I'll dispose of it as usual.

Chicken Chick has some good info, amongst the plethora of ads, but the lighting info is from an avian vet that works in the poultry industry.

One of the things I like about FireFox is the "Reader View" kills all the side bar ads.

Edit: I just found out that Opera has a "Reader View" plugin :).

JT

Last edited:
Hi Riversbend!

It’s only my 4th winter with chickens, the first 2, I’ve used light supplement on a timer, only in the mornings (5-8 am so I can scoop the night droppings, feed and make sure they have water before work) and I got an average of 6-8 eggs per day out of 10 hens on winter. Last year I’ve decided not to do lights at all.

Hi Riversbend!

It’s only my 4th winter with chickens, the first 2, I’ve used light supplement on a timer, only in the mornings (5-8 am so I can scoop the night droppings, feed and make sure they have water before work) and I got an average of 6-8 eggs per day out of 10 hens on winter. Last year I’ve decided not to do lights at all.

How many eggs did you get a day last winter?
JT

Back
Top Bottom