To many roosters

Milow-

Chirping
Mar 18, 2019
Eau Claire, WI
we have a total of 23 birds with 9 polish being 8 weeks old and the remaining 14 a mix of 3 Cochin, 5 Columbian Wyandotte, 2 polish cockerels, 4 Salmon Faverolles poulets who are 6 weeks old. I think we may have 5 cockerels in the flock and I am worried that is to many for the number of hens. Any advise.

How do you determine who to keep? I know 2 polish are roosters, one Columbian Wyandotte, and potentially 2 Cochins. The 2 Cochins are developing red combs and waddles before the third.

Well, it all depends on how you wish to manage your flock. You have a few options. You can leave things as they are, hoping your pullets won't be overwhelmed by randy cockerels chasing them all over (they will most likely be overwhelmed), you can build a bachelor pen and keep all or most of your cockerels locked up without access to the pullets (that will reduce the amount of fighting, too), you can try to sell or give some away, or you can eat them.

When all else fails I list them on craigslist for a good home and have gotten great results. I do ask for a 20 dollar donation to make sure they aren't going to be eaten. Some have sent me pictures of their new homes with their new hens. I have several hatches this year and I'm dreading to find out how many cockerals there will be.

A Cochin makes a wonderful rooster but he will be WAY TOO BIG for Polish females. Much as I love the Cochins I would be more inclined to keep a small rooster like the Polish. They are quite able to breed full size hens. And they aren't as hard on the hens. ;)

Back
Top Bottom