To medicate or not.......

Chick CJ

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 27, 2009
Hi All, I am receiving a batch of barred rock chicks from Meyer's this week and am deciding whether to buy medicated starter or not. I have only ever hatched eggs and have preferred non-medicated starter. Is there any good reason to go with medicated for hatchery chicks?
CJ

There is a good reason to feed medicated chick feed and that reason is that medicated chick feed is designed to help your chicks fight off Coccidiosis. A good way in MHO to help prevent actually using drugs to cure sick chicks. The so-called medicine in medicated chick feed only helps your chicks develop a resistance to Coccidiosis.

The best way to look at medicated chick feed is to think of it as chick feed plus Probiotics.

I have never used medicated. I don't have problems with coccidiosis. It can all depend on your climate and what's in your soil.

You find out if it was necessary, when you have dead or dying chicks due to coccidiosis.
If you have good success with home raised chicks eating unmedicated chick starter, you are likely okay without medicated. Probably. If this is the year this plan fails, that won't be good. Medicated starter is cheap insurance!
Mary

I use a medicated Start and Grow feed for at least ten weeks for my day old chicks i get from the feed store. I switch to a Non-medicated Start and Grow or a All-flock/ Flock Raiser after the medicated feed runs out after 10 weeks. My 14 week olds are doing great. 20181119_092543.jpg . GC

Last edited:
Will your chicks be vaccinated for coccidiosis? If they are vaccinated then medicated feed will negate the vaccination. If you are not sure, call them and ask.
I have never used medicated feed, I just keep the medication on hand if I do have an outbreak. My brooder raised chicks are exposed to my soil gradually while in the brooder, I put a plant saucer of fresh soil in with them daily so they can scratch, dig and dust bathe in it, this way they are gradually and normally introduced to the microbes in the soil. I haven't lost a chick to coccidiosis in many years. It's really personal choice and what works for you.

Back
Top Bottom