To mix or not to mix...

SquawkFlock

Chirping
May 11, 2020
Diana, Texas
So we currently have barred rocks, buff orpingtons, Easter eggers, silver laced Wyandottes, and guineas. But now my husband is thinking maybe we should only keep 1 breed around. We plan on using them as dual purpose. We want the eggs but eventually they will all end up dinner. So not a problem getting rid of extra breeds. So what do y'all have? Is it better to mix or if only one, which breed? ( We live in Texas, so it's hot!)

It's really a personal choice as to which you find most appealing. Personally I like a mixed flock because of the many colors and differences.

I prefer a mixed flock because having them all be the same breed can get rather boring after a bit. Diversity is also good for the flock’s wellbeing.
Edit: Guineas are a separate type of poultry so I don’t know

Last edited:
Right now I have a mixed flock but we only plan to breed specific breeds... really depends on what meets your needs and goals.

We have bantams and standard sized birds... current breeds are:

Ayam Cemani
Oriental Gamefowl
Black Swedish (incubation)
Old English Game
Silikies
Sultans
Polish
Black and Gold Sexlink
CornishX
Brahman
Arcona
Easter Eggers
D’Uccle
French Marans
Barnevelder
Phoenix

However I could do a less diverse flock and in the past I have... but this year chick situation has been bizarre so it has been what ever we could find or still order... once I had no choice but straight run birds I decided to get exotic breeds we always had wanted... If I cull I already know which breeds are on the short list... which we want to breed or keep in general.

Almost all of my large fowl are mixes of dual purpose breeds with the exception of a few pure I keep seperate to breed more of. The hens lay good and grow to be decent table birds along with the roosters if needed, I often sell excess pullets/hens to cover feed cost and due to their interesting and ofen unique feather pattern along with still being dual purpose I never have an issue getting them sold fast

I prefer a mixed flock, as well. Any particular reason you're leaning toward a single breed?
My husband thinks it would be better since we are planning on breeding. Right now the breeding would just be for us to renew our flock and freezer as needed. Just gonna let the chickens do the natural thing and reproduce as they see fit. I don't mind having mutts but he wants pure breeds in case we decide to start selling hatching eggs or chicks in the future. I like the look of a mixed flock but I understand his point too. But then to pick one...I want ALL the chickens...lol

Right now I have a mixed flock but we only plan to breed specific breeds... really depends on what meets your needs and goals.

We have bantams and standard sized birds... current breeds are:

Ayam Cemani
Oriental Gamefowl
Black Swedish (incubation)
Old English Game
Silikies
Sultans
Polish
Black and Gold Sexlink
CornishX
Brahman
Arcona
Easter Eggers
D’Uccle
French Marans
Barnevelder
Phoenix

However I could do a less diverse flock and in the past I have... but this year chick situation has been bizarre so it has been what ever we could find or still order... once I had no choice but straight run birds I decided to get exotic breeds we always had wanted... If I cull I already know which breeds are on the short list... which we want to breed or keep in general.
That's why we have a mixed flock now. I was really wanting RIR but couldn't find any and didn't want to wait for mail orders ( was still 2 months out). So now we have 5 different breeds and still no reds...oh well. I love my babies. They are so sweet🥰

You could separate two birds you want to breed and then use those eggs. You would have to make sure the hen you want to breed with doesn’t mate for around a month or so before you breed, and then prevent mating for another month after that to collect the eggs.

I always would lean towards a mixed flock for the reasons that other posters have said, and also because it is easier to tell if a chicken is hurt as they stop laying (hens only, of course, lol) their colored egg, which significantly narrows it down. I purposefully keep a small and diverse flock for that reason, and also because it is pretty. If you guys (your husband) don't like mutts, you could keep them separated by breed and just have a few of each breed in each area. Personally though, for dual purpose, Buffies are pretty great

Back
Top Bottom